Range Safety Certificate

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
PeterN

Range Safety Certificate

#1 Post by PeterN »

I shoot on a 20 yard indoor small bore range. The range was updated and a new range safety certificate was issued about 30 years ago. The range has stayed the same since then. I have read the certificate and it shows no expiry date. So, am I right in thinking that once a range safety certificate is issued, it is valid in perpetuity unless or until something changes?
Regards
Peter.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Range Safety Certificate

#2 Post by hitchphil »

Yes, until you materially change the range, or until there is a problem like an injury then it will get assessed withdrawn & you have to jump thru hoops again to reinstate it.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

I am by no means an authority on the matter, so my input should be treated as opinion.

It is my understanding that the MOD no longer inspect and issue RSN (Range Safety Notices) to civilian ranges - design and implementation of ranges is down to the individuals running and designing the range.

What it tends to come down to these days, is if there is an issue, can you show that you have done your due diligence to suggest the range was safe. What have you done to do that? In most cases proving the range was built to a standard to obtain a range safety certificate may suffice, however most existing ranges would have been build according to JSP403 standards at the time of their construction, however JSP403 has been superseded now by another document, and I'm sure there are developments in requirements in the past 30 years that may need to be addressed.

The NSRA used to have Ali Aitken as their range inspector, but I'm not sure if there is still anyone in the role, as it comes down to ranges having their own inspection and requirements of safety.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

The only person/people that can certify a range is fit is the Range Operator. Many others will give guidance and their opinion (NRA/NSRA and others), free or for a fee, but it comes down to the operator to make the final decision.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
PeterN

#5 Post by PeterN »

Thanks for the replies. I wonder what is the oldest range safety certificate in use. I know of an outdoor range that is basically a farmers field with a 200 yard long by 30 feet high soft limestone cliff as a backstop. This was used by the Home Guard in WW2 and was taken over by a club after the war. The actual range part is in the centre of the run of the cliff face. This was examined by the military authorities at the time and passed as suitable for pistol at 20 yards, full bore rifle at 25 yards and small bore rifle at 25, 50 and 100 yards. There is no range infrastructure as such and the range remains as it was when passed. The range was in regular use until the pistol ban and used much less since then. The targets are placed in front of a hole in the cliff face about 6 feet high by 12 feet long and about 10 feet deep. A bullet going into the hole is not going anywhere else. The Certificate of Safety was issued in 1948 and I don't think it has been examined since then so perhaps that is one of the oldest.
Regards
Peter