Targets for iron sights

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Graham M

Re: Targets for iron sights

#11 Post by Graham M »

These are what I have been using for the last 30 years or so. They are bloody expensive now though

Knoblock.jpg
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

I shoot at an 8" black, that is because it is the size of my gongs. If that is too fuzzy for you then go bigger.

I use shoot "n" targets. I cut the 8" black and the 8" grey in half and match the halves to give me a top half black and bottom half grey which goes whitish enough at that distance.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

RJ156 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:15 am
Graham M wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:39 am Is this iron sights or aperture sites?
Irons. I shoot a m91/30 and a k31. So V notch and post / blade.
Sounds like we have the same problem.

I've now given up trying to shoot my Lee-Enfield No.5 and my K98k beyond 100yrds.....(the sight picture in particular on the K98k is terrible), and due to Covid and other issues, our club hasn't managed to shoot at 100yrds since Nov 2017.... 8-) so with my eye deterioration over past 4 years, I'm not expecting much in Jan when we finally get to shoot at 100yrds again.
RJ156

#14 Post by RJ156 »

dromia wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:12 pm I shoot at an 8" black, that is because it is the size of my gongs. If that is too fuzzy for you then go bigger.

I use shoot "n" targets. I cut the 8" black and the 8" grey in half and match the halves to give me a top half black and bottom half grey which goes whitish enough at that distance.
This seems to be the way to go, for lack of tin hat targets……
The 8” shoot and see aren’t too bad.
GeeRam wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:14 pm [quote=RJ156 post_id=426999 time=<a href="tel:1639912502">1639912502</a> user_id=5736]
[quote="Graham M" post_id=426998 time=<a href="tel:1639906759">1639906759</a> user_id=89]
Is this iron sights or aperture sites?
Irons. I shoot a m91/30 and a k31. So V notch and post / blade.
[/quote]

Sounds like we have the same problem.

I've now given up trying to shoot my Lee-Enfield No.5 and my K98k beyond 100yrds.....(the sight picture in particular on the K98k is terrible), and due to Covid and other issues, our club hasn't managed to shoot at 100yrds since Nov 2017.... 8-) so with my eye deterioration over past 4 years, I'm not expecting much in Jan when we finally get to shoot at 100yrds again.
[/quote]

Il let you know how I get on, I could be making something o of nothing as it’s not like I’m missing by miles. It’s just annoying that I can’t keep same point of aim.
andrew375

#15 Post by andrew375 »

You need plenty of white under the target so you can resolve the sights easier. This is the advantage of the tin hat target. If necessary place another target, back facing towards you, under your target. Make sure are using a six o'clock hold with a bit of white between the top of the front sight and the black. The black should be a fuzzy blob.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
RJ156

#16 Post by RJ156 »

andrew375 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:07 pm You need plenty of white under the target so you can resolve the sights easier. This is the advantage of the tin hat target. If necessary place another target, back facing towards you, under your target. Make sure are using a six o'clock hold with a bit of white between the top of the front sight and the black. The black should be a fuzzy blob.
Will give it a try

Will have to make my own and print some tin hats as cannot find them anywhere
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#17 Post by hitchphil »

From reading above it sounds like people dont have the correct lens if using shooting glasses? A shooting spec lens allows you to focus on the foresight & for long range vision to be nominally in focus too. They move your distance focus to about 30 inch or a bit before the foresight - That's what my lens does. So my foresight is in good focus & the target is also in enough focus to shoot on (very slightly out as per 20:20vision)

So to shoot using proper shooting glasses - contact R Steward at Bisley or Gary Alexander (Specsavers Swindon) with your std reading or vision spec & ask for their advice, then buy a lens via them. Normally £25 ish.

Also for std No4 iron sight picture it should be something like this pic -but with the target being slightly out of focus.

The TR ring sight was developed from the Blade sight using those sort of proportions. The Tin hat has the same sort of gap from the bottom of the tin hat to the top of the blade. i find too many folks have zeroed with the blade in the black so you cant actually see it properly & aim off!
Attachments
SR sight pic.jpg
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
andrew375

#18 Post by andrew375 »

Another thing to try is between shots, after spotting where you hit, look at something about the same distance away as to your front sight. This means your eyes will not have to refocus from the longer distance. The problem as your eyes age is that the lens becomes harder and takes more time and effort to adjust between distances, so try not looking at the target, except through the spotting scope.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#19 Post by channel12 »

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Orthoptics.html

Basically you make a pinhole in some suitable material and mount it on either your normal glasses or if you don't wear specs a pair of safety glasses or similar. It need a it fiddling around to find the optimum aperture size and location. Think pinhole camera and you will be surprised to find you can see rear sight, foresight and target relatively clearly.
I replaced the lens with a piece of plastic and drilled a hole in it. Discarded the second lens. It works for me shooting iron sighs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112641348371 ... SwLf9gN4MU
RJ156

#20 Post by RJ156 »

Got lots to try here!!

Thanks all.