Firearm acquisition without a FAC upto date renewal

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Graham M

Re: Firearm acquisition without a FAC upto date renewal

#41 Post by Graham M »

Last edited by Graham M on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Graham M

#42 Post by Graham M »

wrote:
You can guarantee when there is a thread relating to firearms law (or even worse, on Facebook), the bar room lawyers wade in with opinions, which much of the time is what appears to be, at best, based on guesswork, and inevitably simply wrong (the shooting within 50ft of the centre of a highway chestnut being one of the worst).
oooh the number of times I've had that one thrown at me. "It's an offence under the firearms act to shoot less than 50yds................." etc
Trying to explain it's 50ft from the CENTER of the highway is bad enough, but when you tell them it isn't even firearms law but the highways act is even harder for them to get their heads around it.
And then when you tell them it isn't even an offence unless "And in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered", that throws them even more.
[/quote]
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#43 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:10 am
Pippin89 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:14 am Reading through the comments this was my concern over the process. Your renewal obviously listed the firearms you currently have. So the RFD enters it onto your old certificate. Then your renewed certificate is printed and doesn't have the new one on there. Do you go back to the RFD and get them to enter it onto your new cert too? That could open a whole other can of worms.... And yes you would have notified them but I would seriously doubt they have a system in place to update a renewal when a new firearm is purchased.

This really isn’t a pop at you, I know that you haven’t had a certificate for long, but this illustrates my point.

What guns you you hold is noted on the National Firearms Licensing Management System. You buy a firearm and when you inform the police, that firearm is allocated to you and the person who has it before hand, is removed from their database entry. Them informing the Police as well as you, should ensure mistakes are minimum. Your certificate is printed from the details held on this system.

Being written on a certificate is not the definitive list from which your renewed certificate is generated from.

Going back to an RFD to have him rewrite an already entered firearm on a previous certificate you can see would be incorrect. The position Kent is no doubt coming from is when renewals are administered the file is sent to the FIO with a printed sheet from the NFMLS that will detail what you hold. They physically check your guns against this list. If in the meantime you’ve added another after that list was printed, it knocks stuff out of kilter. The FIO might actually have your new certificate in possession to be passed on to you during his visit. That is when it would need a reprint.

But the fact is, an extension is the continuation of the certificate in its original form. Additions are lawful and are only written on a certificate once.

It’s also worth mentioning that the National FIO course is only five days long. FIOs don’t know everything which is why one needs your own skills base and adopt an attitude of cooperation. This also includes not blindly following policy but challenging where required, in a constructive manner.
I already understood 90% of what you put and was asking the questions semi-rhetorically. But the bit you have cleared up is that the new certs are printed from the national database rather than from the list you supply on your renewal form, so thanks for that. That would solve the foreseen problem, with the exception (as you say) when it has been printed before you notify them of the purchase.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#44 Post by bradaz11 »

If your certificate is up for renewal, and in date, would you still not buy a gun to risk upsetting someone? Your licence is valid until it expires, if it isn't expired, buy what you want, and that letter means it isn't expired
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#45 Post by poll007 »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:14 am
Mauserbill wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:00 pm However, In Kent they kindly request that you don't as it can affect the renewal and require a reprint of your certificate. That is what I was told by my firearms officer.
Reading through the comments this was my concern over the process. Your renewal obviously listed the firearms you currently have. So the RFD enters it onto your old certificate. Then your renewed certificate is printed and doesn't have the new one on there. Do you go back to the RFD and get them to enter it onto your new cert too? That could open a whole other can of worms.... And yes you would have notified them but I would seriously doubt they have a system in place to update a renewal when a new firearm is purchased.
pretty simple-if the new one is missing a gun you go back and point it out and get another one printed.
more than once the firearms department has made mistakes on my FAC.
My current FAC is missing a mod off it but they have been emailed and it will be fixed when i send in for my variation.
The same would apply in the above case.