Firearm acquisition without a FAC upto date renewal

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Firearm acquisition without a FAC upto date renewal

#11 Post by Christel »

All he has is a letter...there is no certificate to enter the gun on.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Snookered then…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chapuis

#13 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:53 pm All he has is a letter...there is no certificate to enter the gun on.
Are you sure about that Christel, I can't see where he says that.
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

2) Third line down...."but I have been sent a letter authorising my license extention untill end of January"....
Chapuis

#15 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:16 pm 2) Third line down...."but I have been sent a letter authorising my license extention untill end of January"....
Yes he's received a letter but he doesn't say that he hasn't retained his actual certificate, which is the way that many forces have dealt with renewals and variations for many years.
I never send my certificate back until the new or varied certificate has arrived. This is especially likely to be the case if he has submitted his renewal online.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Mauserbill wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:27 am Hello
Can any RFDs advise on this question, I am interested in purchasing a rifle that I have seen for sale my problems are as follows.
1) Its located remotely from me and I cannot complete a F2F transaction, this would not usually be a problem if I could send my FAC.
2) My FAC expired early December due to the delays in renewal, but I have been sent a letter authorising my license extension until end of January.
would this be acceptable for the purchase under the present renewal circumstances. I will obviously check with my FEO but wanted to get an RFDs view on the situation
So what is this rifle that you desperately have to own and can not wait for your firearm certificate to be renewed. What is so special about it that you just have to have it right now.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#17 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Just returned from a mini break to see the interesting comments being made and the advice being given, sorry if I did not make my situation clear "Thought that I had" at item 2
it expired the second week of December and I was then subsequently sent a letter informing me that my FAC had been extended untill the end of January.
My post was meant for RFDs as to wether they would find it acceptable to accept an out of date FAC together with the letter I had received and hence entering a sale on that FAC, Alpha1 the rifle that I wish to purchase .is irrelevant to the question being asked.
I will contact the FEO today for there take on it and clarification ,will let you know the outcome !!! but whatever they say the question still remains if a RFD would accept my explanation and the fact that my FAC is out of date and that the issuing authority is different to the location of the firearm.
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

Mauserbill, as an RFD we will not accept that situation and the transfer would have to wait until the relevant certificate and slot are present.

Yes, best to contact your FEO and ask, however the situation is a bit more complicated as the gun is in a different county.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Sim G »

Where as I would hold the position that your FAC has not expired. The law states it remains in force and the letter confirms such.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Christel
Site Admin

#20 Post by Christel »

SimG, I agree....however where do you enter the gun? On a lapsed certificate? Or the letter?