Firearm acquisition without a FAC upto date renewal

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Chapuis

Re: Firearm acquisition without a FAC upto date renewal

#21 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 am SimG, I agree....however where do you enter the gun? On a lapsed certificate? Or the letter?
On the certificate of course.
Chapuis

#22 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:50 am Mauserbill, as an RFD we will not accept that situation and the transfer would have to wait until the relevant certificate and slot are present.

Yes, best to contact your FEO and ask, however the situation is a bit more complicated as the gun is in a different county.
Christel this is the second time that you have mentioned problems with being in a different county. The first time you suggested that a temporary permit was only valid in the county in which it was issued. I'm just wondering if Lincolnshire has declared UDI and hasn't told anyone yet. lol
Sim G
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Sim G »

Christel wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 am SimG, I agree....however where do you enter the gun? On a lapsed certificate? Or the letter?
On the certificate.

The letter tells you that the certificate holder has met the criteria for the “extension” of their certificate and that FAC remains “in force”, so valid. If the certificate has the relevant slot, he can acquire firearms. Likewise, ammunition which would also be included on the certificate. You can also sell him primers should he produce the certificate WITH the letter that states the certificate is still valid.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#24 Post by Lever357 »

I am in the same situation as the op - both FAC and SGC expired 23 Nov, I received a letter from Northumbria police a few days prior stating "as your application was made 8 weeks or more before the expiry date of your certificates they will now continue in force for a further period of 8 weeks after the due expiry date." It goes on to state the certificates will now expire on 19/1/2022 and that the terms and conditions are unchanged during this period.

That to me means I can continue using my certificates as normal, ie buying ammunition and firearms/shotguns.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Christel
Site Admin

#25 Post by Christel »

Chapuis, ask Lincolnshire :)
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#26 Post by IainWR »

Sim G wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:02 am
On the certificate.

The letter tells you that the certificate holder has met the criteria for the “extension” of their certificate and that FAC remains “in force”, so valid. If the certificate has the relevant slot, he can acquire firearms. Likewise, ammunition which would also be included on the certificate. You can also sell him primers should he produce the certificate WITH the letter that states the certificate is still valid.
Exactly correct. Technically, as the extension is in primary legislation, the letter isn't necessary to the validity of the extension, but only the holder and the licensing office know that the criteria have been met, so it's essential in any dealing with a third party.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#27 Post by FredB »

My expiry date was last July and I sent the renewal forms in in April. The certificate duly expired and I was sent a letter extending it. The letter expired and I was sent a temporary FAC---note that there doesn't seem to be a temporary explosives licence. The temp certificate expired and I was sent another one: i queried the explosives situation and I was told: don't worry--we aren't going to prosecute you! In December, I received a phone call from a Firearms Officer and a couple days later my new FAC and Explosives licence arrived. At no point was I ever asked for a medical certificate. if all that was required was a phone call, it seems incredible that this could not have happenned between April and July. I had several conversations with the office staff who were constructive and helpful---they just did not have the ability to make anything happen.
Fred
Christel
Site Admin

#28 Post by Christel »

However that third party outside of Licensing Department's opening hours, cannot verify that letter.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#29 Post by Sim G »

Do you “verify” every certificate with a call to the Licensing dept? On top of which, FAC holders are generally the more honest type.

To furnish an FAC with an expired date, together with a fraudulent letter is a multitude of offences. Acquisition without certification, fraud, false instrument et al.

If your business however, isn’t comfortable with it, then don’t accept it. There is an argument you shouldn’t do because it makes the “system” work. But, as FAC holders are supposed to be honest, RFDs are supposed to law abiding also. And if primary legislation permits it, then should it not be supported?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Christel
Site Admin

#30 Post by Christel »

No, we do not contact the department, if it is a valid certificate, we take a photo of the front and of the relevant page and transfer the gun/ammo.

On almost a daily basis we are getting emails reporting lost or stolen certificates, this is coming from Lincs police however covers the entire UK.

So...no we do not transfer onto an expired certificate - letter or no letter.