Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
rox

Re: Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

#11 Post by rox »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:42 pmGP is saying they DON'T have to report it, so I think the GP agrees with you
The post states that the GP indicated that there was no need to inform the police "as my vision was unaffected", clearly suggesting that the GP thinks there is some connection between visual acuity and the need to inform the police.

Have I misunderstood this, or should GPs be assessing our physical characteristics and reporting us to the police if they think our shooting ability falls below some threshold?

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

#12 Post by Dark Skies »

My general rule of thumb is unless it's specifically listed do not mention it.
You're only making a rod for your own back.

I recall a friend of mine filling out his renewal with TVP when they first started asking about additional medical conditions on the application. The guidance then was pretty sketchy.
In the forelock tugging way of our times he felt it better to be safe than sorry and mentioned his high blood pressure (controlled by meds). This ISN'T on the current list of things that need to be mentioned. He got his renewal.

Some time later, in order to assist with TVP's backlog, he was invited to make out an early renewal application. This time around the guidance was more specific. He noted that blood pressure was not mentioned and duly left it off. Some time later he received a phone call about his application and why he now not disclosing his medical condition. This led to a ten minute discussion arguing the toss about his health etc that was none of the FEO's business and certainly above his medical knowledge. In the end, obviously, he received his renewal because it was a non-issue.

If you want to avoid some amateur medical over the phone by an unqualified person who holds the key to your FAC then don't volunteer information that isn't pertinent.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Polchraine

#13 Post by Polchraine »

Vision could be an issue - if you are going blind or have restricted sight with certain conditions, I can see that as beeing a condition that perhaps could/should be reported or at least noted.

That GP is obviously aware of what is needed to be reported and to me the original statement does not give me any issues.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#14 Post by hitchphil »

Polchraine wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 am It does not affect your ability to own/use firearms, and as the GP knows you have an FAC/SGC he may have been confirming to you that you do not ned to inform the local force and he will not when it comes to renewal.

From the Met Police:

Relevant medical conditions which must be disclosed are:

acute stress reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder
suicidal thoughts or self harm, or harm to others
depression or anxiety
dementia
mania, bipolar disorder, or a psychotic illness
a personality disorder
a neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s or Huntington’s diseases, or epilepsy
alcohol or drug abuse
any other mental or physical condition, or combination of conditions, which you think may be relevant

If in doubt, consult your GP or contact the police firearms licensing department.
I suspect the Gp is thinking & responding vs the conditions in red above & the last one is a bit of a catch all! The patient record is identified in the GP surgery with a flag, indicating being an FAC holder, if a listed condition were to be diagnosed then I believe the Gp is required to advise the FLO of that.......

The eyes are often indicators of conditions & diseases. The eyes can indicate the presence of:- diabetes, high blood pressure, arterial plaque, multiple sclerosis, brain tumours, stroke, leukaemia and many other conditions. Some of them might be regarded as acute or debilitating thus a threat to life & so maybe then a threat of the patient committing suicide etc.

So beware -if you get a diagnosis of any acute condition then its likely your FLO will be informed by your GP & they then can act on that as they see fit.

This new situation might present us FAC holders with a new threat scenario? :- See the Dr, get a diagnosis, then a police visit & firearms seized till they decide your are fit to have them back!? Getting stuff back after police seizing them is reported by many as long & fraught! I suggest if you have an FAC & you dont have legal protection insurance cover then you are asking for trouble if they are seized. Get Covered (NRA etc but not BASC! )

Similarly if you have a Will then there should be a side letter (open on my demise) to define what you want to happen to your firearms in the event of your demise vs what police wish to do (generally seize & destroy!). So maybe have a chat with an RFD & have an agreement in place to store in your firearms pending probate (give to club, charity, sell or transfer to friend, children etc).

NB #1 - If you leave 10% of your estate (after charges & that can include RFD costs) to a charity then you reduce IHT from 40 to 36% - LMRA, SRA, NRA, NSRA & some very few clubs are still charities.
NB #2 - Do Not leave firearms to NRA without specific instructions for their use (sell funds to charity, young shooters fund etc) as NRA sell all deceased & abandoned effects etc on Holts & so for a pittance of their real value!

Without leaving instructions (call this RFD & give them this FAC number, the keys are stored here letter & their (real ;) ) values are) you are leaving that to the whim of police, the decision of your partner, who may not know what to do? or the value of your guns - so maybe the letter is also your opportunity to fess up to the real value of all your guns & kit! so one can float off to the range heaven with a clear conscience? :D
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#15 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
With regard to additional medical conditions I have arthritic knees and an ingrowing toenail I now really feel compelled to report them on my renewal LoL
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

hitchphil wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:30 pm Similarly if you have a Will then there should be a side letter (open on my demise) to define what you want to happen to your firearms in the event of your demise vs what police wish to do (generally seize & destroy!). So maybe have a chat with an RFD & have an agreement in place to store in your firearms pending probate (give to club, charity, sell or transfer to friend, children etc).

NB #1 - If you leave 10% of your estate (after charges & that can include RFD costs) to a charity then you reduce IHT from 40 to 36% - LMRA, SRA, NRA, NSRA & some very few clubs are still charities.
NB #2 - Do Not leave firearms to NRA without specific instructions for their use (sell funds to charity, young shooters fund etc) as NRA sell all deceased & abandoned effects etc on Holts & so for a pittance of their real value!

Without leaving instructions (call this RFD & give them this FAC number, the keys are stored here letter & their (real ;) ) values are) you are leaving that to the whim of police, the decision of your partner, who may not know what to do? or the value of your guns - so maybe the letter is also your opportunity to fess up to the real value of all your guns & kit! so one can float off to the range heaven with a clear conscience? :D
anyone with guns should speak to their next of kin anyway, and tell them that pending their demise they need to get in touch with x RFD to take charge of the guns, and on no account let the police take them (warrants exempted OFC). My GF knows at least 3 that I know wouldn't screw her over on the prices. no way I'd leave it to a letter in a solicitors that may take a few weeks to get opened. bet the police would be round in days, not weeks.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#17 Post by hitchphil »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:43 pm
hitchphil wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:30 pm Similarly if you have a Will then there should be a side letter (open on my demise) to define what you want to happen to your firearms in the event of your demise vs what police wish to do (generally seize & destroy!). So maybe have a chat with an RFD & have an agreement in place to store in your firearms pending probate (give to club, charity, sell or transfer to friend, children etc).

anyone with guns should speak to their next of kin anyway, and tell them that pending their demise they need to get in touch with x RFD to take charge of the guns, and on no account let the police take them (warrants exempted OFC). My GF knows at least 3 that I know wouldn't screw her over on the prices. no way I'd leave it to a letter in a solicitors that may take a few weeks to get opened. bet the police would be round in days, not weeks.
Agree but not to solicitors! - the letter should be safe, but accessible to your partners, kids etc in the event of your demise etc - I have a letter locked up & mine know where to get it. It could sealed be with your nominated RFD & your home letter just says "for my firearms call this number & ask for name".
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
RDC

#18 Post by RDC »

Triffid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:27 pm I had an auto-immune disease in 2010...

...It wasn't a problem, but my FEO gently criticised me for not previously reporting it. He thought it was a 'neurological condition'.

Triffid
You weren't criticised because you didn't report it, you were criticised because the FEO didn't understand what it is.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#19 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
God bless um they don`t know anything about firearms so how can you expect them to have a grasp on medical conditions
Graham M

#20 Post by Graham M »

I've got piles........................................
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.