Anyone been shooting today?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Angelfire

Re: Anyone been shooting today?

#31 Post by Angelfire »

Blu wrote:Was out at the range today sighting in my inline muzzle loader because I changed the scope on it. The thermometer on the range hut said it was -11C. Tonight it is supposed to get down to -23C. Tomorrow morning I will be up at 5:30AM to go chase deer and try to put a sabot in one.

Around this time every year my wife makes the same statement of "your nuts". She's probably right but I just love being out there in the woods.

Blu :twisted:

Blu,

While stalking with a mate (a long while ago) we were invited to an early morning foray at geese, with a couple of guys who had booked in at the estate, they had never shot decoyed geese and were looking forward to it. Anyway, it was one of the very rare days when the temp gauge was at -20 or some other rediculous low figure, we were off early in the dark to get set up and take up positions to ambush the geese at the onset of daylight. There were four of us and the keeper sat freezing cold for what seemed to be 2 hours, but in reality it was more like 40 minutes. When the geese appeared as expected we shot a couple or three, which was enough for us as guests, but to our surprise the 2 clients did not shoot at all. On nipping over to them, it was explained that their guns had actualy frozen up, and would not fire, some thing I had not seen before, and not seen since either. The lads gave it best, too cold to shoot they suggested enough was enough, they wanted to return to the farmhouse for warmth and breakfast. So the result was, stalking lads 3, the goosey boys nil, we still laugh about it to this day.

Then me and my mate were off stalking. Oh for a return to the days when men were men and the women were greatful for it, and temps of -20 were taken as the norm. :lol: :lol:

Regards

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

Re: Anyone been shooting today?

#32 Post by HeatherW762 »

The NRA SC had its Christmas shoot on Cheylesmore range this morning. Bit on the chill side but we put the best part of 2000 rounds down the range. Mulled wine and mince pies added to the festive air as did my snowmen earmuffs :)

Followed it up with dinner at the OSM, roaring fire was popular once they worked out how to keep it going!

Great day.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)