Gun Clubs average age.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Gun Clubs average age.

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm
Blackstuff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 pm its a PSG only club so not Home Office approved
Out of interest, can membership of your club be good reason to have an S1 SG? For a S1 rifle/pistol it has to be a Home Office approved club.
Strictly by the book sadly not, so all the members also have to be members of other HO clubs, even if the other clubs don't have PSG facilities, what a farce! 8-)
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:26 am
Blackstuff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 pm its a PSG only club so not Home Office approved
Out of interest, can membership of your club be good reason to have an S1 SG? For a S1 rifle/pistol it has to be a Home Office approved club.
Strictly by the book sadly not, so all the members also have to be members of other HO clubs, even if the other clubs don't have PSG facilities, what a farce! 8-)
Wait.... so if I joined your club, I could use my rifle club membership (for which there is no SG facilities at all) to apply for a S1 SG slot so that I can shoot it at your club? That's.... logical....
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#13 Post by TattooedGun »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm
Blackstuff wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:26 am

Wait.... so if I joined your club, I could use my rifle club membership (for which there is no SG facilities at all) to apply for a S1 SG slot so that I can shoot it at your club? That's.... logical....
You'd be a member of a home office approved club, and have access to SG facilities through a non-home office approved club. It does make sense.

Same way for the UKPSA, it's not a club, but being a member gives you good reason to possess a S1 shotgun.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#14 Post by Daryll »

I've no idea about our Club comittee, but I'd guess all in their 50's and early 60's, but they do have open minds about the club activities, and are open to members suggestions...

(The Xmas shoot was called "No guns at Xmas" and was axe throwing, and crossbow and slingshot shooting...!!)
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#15 Post by phaedra1106 »

Secretary for one club, committee is a mix of 40 -70yr olds.

Committee member for another club and mainly over 5'5s with one "yougster" in his early 40's
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
The Event

#16 Post by The Event »

I'm about to turn 50 and this week I am retiring as Club Treasurer after 10 years in the job. Our secretary & Chairman are in their 50s. My guess is that after the AGM later this week, most of the Committee will be in their 40s and 50s with maybe a couple in their 70s.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#17 Post by daman »

At 55 I'm the youngest committee member (treasurer) - the rest of the committee are 65 - 85. We only have a few 'young' members (under 50). Thankfully though the 'youth' are at least stepping up as RO's and Desk Officers. Overall though membership is down considerably since the start of covid.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

TattooedGun wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 pm You'd be a member of a home office approved club, and have access to SG facilities through a non-home office approved club. It does make sense.

Same way for the UKPSA, it's not a club, but being a member gives you good reason to possess a S1 shotgun.
Thats interesting. A new rifle range opened up near me and I wanted to get a rifle to shoot there which is outside of the disciplines normally shot by my HOA club. So I could use the same process to do so...
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

TattooedGun wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 pm
Pippin89 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm Wait.... so if I joined your club, I could use my rifle club membership (for which there is no SG facilities at all) to apply for a S1 SG slot so that I can shoot it at your club? That's.... logical....
You'd be a member of a home office approved club, and have access to SG facilities through a non-home office approved club. It does make sense.

Being a member of the UKPSA gives you access to PSG facilities though, including HO clubs.
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#20 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 am
TattooedGun wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 pm You'd be a member of a home office approved club, and have access to SG facilities through a non-home office approved club. It does make sense.

Thats interesting. A new rifle range opened up near me and I wanted to get a rifle to shoot there which is outside of the disciplines normally shot by my HOA club. So I could use the same process to do so...
If your club is Full-Bore approved (shoots either centre fire rifle of pistol calibre carbines as they are called) then you don't need to move clubs. The disciplines your club shoots is immaterial, if it is HO approved for full-bore and NRA affiliated you have access to all the ranges you need for everything including Section 7 and Section 1 shotgun, LBP/LBR without changing.

However if your club is only small-bore approved then you could quite easily join another club, even non-HO Approved, to get access to ranges, assuming they'll have you of course. ;)
The thing with s1 shotgun is there is no approval system so you cannot try before you apply and there are many places around the country that offer open comps you could enter. There is your justification to apply.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.