Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dangermouse

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

Just a heads up should anyone be thinking of ordering this book any time soon. Bryan is currently canvasing 6mmBR.com for ideas to be included in his 2nd edition. So you may wish to hold on to your cash for another six months.

This is a great book written by a rocket scientist, but more importantly a very good competitive shot - Bryan Litz
Most people will learn something and will return to it again and again using it for reference. Of particular interest are the G7 ballistic efficiencies he has worked out for many of the most popular heads.

I know that since he first started selling it, this book has become more difficult to buy in the UK. The last I looked, you could still get it through Sinclair's. Not wishing to speak for Blu, but I would imagine that this is a no risk item to have posted to you should you pass him a wee dram,

Dave
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Dave,

I agree - I thought Brian's book might be a bit too technical for me but you can read it like a novel. Very informative and useful for any long-range shooter.

Brian gave a couple of copies to Target Shooter magazine as Laurie Holland did the proof-reading for him and your post just reminded me that we still have one to give away.

Cheers
Vince
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Crikey :D

I have to be brutally honest here. Do not buy this book if math and stats are not your strong side. I tried to get my head around it but no chance.

Too many numbers, basically the guy is a rocket scientist, what does that tell you?
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Christel,

Now I feel like a geek!

Vince
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

But do you read it in bed Vince?

OK, not only do I read in bed but I have been known to quote sections to Christel whilst doing so. Once an engineer always an engineer I guess... :roll:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Christel,

More than once I was lost in data mid way through a topic, but what I like about this book, is that Bryan finishes each section with a summary of what you have just read, and I found that got me back on track again.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Christel,

Now I feel like a geek!

Vince

:lol:
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Dangermouse wrote:Christel,

More than once I was lost in data mid way through a topic, but what I like about this book, is that Bryan finishes each section with a summary of what you have just read, and I found that got me back on track again.

DM

Dangermouse, what you are basically saying is that if explained enough we will understand the book, doesn't that apply to everything in this world?
It is not exactly an easy intuitive read, that book.

I am not saying it is not any good, in fact it is a very good informative book, just not for everyone.
woody_rod

#9 Post by woody_rod »

Brian is a very well mannered young guy. I met him In Brisbane this year at the Australian National Queens. He ended up winning the comp BTW.

Like many complex things, it is difficult to explain subject matter such as ballistics in a simple manner. This, along with the current fact that a lot of the concepts and theories are just that: theories. Without actually testing the rounds using a proper scientific method, on a range, it has to be otherwise done with numbers. Suppositions about physics and known facts, can often be used to estimate the actual outcome for a particular bullet in this case. Some bullet characteristics are known extremely well, which means that similar ones will likely behave in a similar manner. The hard bit is working out exactly what the difference will be.