Kestrel 4500NV with Horus

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dangermouse

Kestrel 4500NV with Horus

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

The second of my "If you don't already have it, you might want to wait" posts of tonight.

I have the standard Kestrel 4500NV and was very happy with it until I happened upon a report which told me that they have now integrated the Horus Ballistic calculator into their product. The calculations are automatically / continuously updated as the meter reads the conditions.

What is particularly annoying for me is that I emailed Kestrel before I bought my unit, asking them if they had any plans to integrate a ballistic calculator in the future. I was sent a reply along the lines of "we have no plans, we stick to what we are good at and we will leave the Ballistic calculators to other companies"

Just shows that if enough people show interest in an idea then it can happen.(Or perhaps I gave them the idea)?

Due to be released in in 2011, this will be one hell of a unit. But remember, as with any computer, rubbish in = rubbish out!

http://www.nkhome.com/kestrel/kestrel-horus/

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
lapua338

Re: Kestrel 4500NV with Horus

#2 Post by lapua338 »

I saw the recent advert in the December issue of Target Shooter and thought about treating myself. I contacted sales at Richard Paul Russell Ltd (the official UK distributor) some time ago with respect to cost and availability and need I say anymore?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Heh! - At least I skipped buying one and stopped with my Skywatch. I did however buy Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Mr Litz so now I need to resist the temptation to buy the second edition.

Have you seen the JBM computer? http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistico ... comp.shtml I did offer to test drive it as part of the Beta programe but my offer was declined. :cry:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

lapua338

This is a post I made back in January this year on the F Class Forum

"Ever since reading about the Kestrel range of weather stations / Wind meters on 6mmBR.com I quickly realised that I was not going to afford one bought in the UK, as the top model that I was interested in, the 4500NV, sells for a penny under £300. So I have been looking out for one on Ebay. Second hand units are rare and demand a good price. So it was with some interest that I saw a new seller of the Kestrel range, selling under the normal eBay price. The seller is based in Indonesia, which rang warning bells, but his feed back was reasonably good.
The 4500NV that I bid on had a buy it now price of £166.59 but a first bid price of £129.57. I put on a bid of £130.00 expecting to get a "reserve fee not met" message but was surprised to win it at that price, being the only bidder. Add another $25. for P&P and I sat nervously waiting trying to remember exactly what pay pal covers you for and what it does not.

Well, no need to worry, the Kestrel 4500NV arrived today exactly as described, brand new in box etc.
I am still setting it up which appears to be another speciality in it self, but I am pleased as punch and am happy to let others know that this company do come through with the goods".

No idea if they are still trading!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

DM,
Just step sideways about the the Kestral, my mate sent me a video of his Kestral shutting down - mind you it was in a OP on the top of a hill in Afghanistan and the video shows the temperature creeping to the max operating temp of 60 degrees Celsius until you hear the words,

"...The Kestral has reached it's shut off point of 60 degrees, any words for this auspicious moment?" Unknown trooper, "I hate Afghanistan!"
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Dangermouse,

Perhaps you could blag the Horus version off Kestrel and write it up for Target Shooter - we'd pay you and you might just get to keep the Horus................

Cheers
Vince
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

Vince,

As you are one half of the magazine, I take that as permission to mention the magazine in any correspondence with Kestrel.
I am back to work for 4 days now, so will try to mentally construct a letter whilst passing my time.
As the unit is still to be given a release date, there is no hurry, but should I make any contact I will make sure that you are notified.
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Dangermouse,

Yes - please mention the magazine - if they want confirmation that you are reviewing it for the mag. give them my e-mail - vinceb@6ppc.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers
Vince