Do we have a Club Full Bore Secretary on here?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Robin128

Re: Do we have a Club Full Bore Secretary on here?

#11 Post by Robin128 »

Egg on Leggs wrote:Nothing too bad, I have just taken over the role at my club and I would like to pick the collective brain so I sound like I know what I am talking about. :oops:
I have been assisting our Sec for nearly 3 years and have learned this...

1. You need skin like a rhino.
2. Expect no help, only criticism.
3. Keep the range exactly like the plans submitted when range safety cert awarded.
4. Make darn sure that members stick to fps and ME for each of your ranges. Attend shoots.
5. Know the constitution backwards and make sure they are followed.
6. De-lead frequently and test with a stick to see if you have a clump of lead etc at a shallow depth...when bullets start to fly you should have de-leaded 6 months ago. Lead has a scrap value. Close the ranges when they ice up. Renew sand to the correct grade and angle.
7. Make sure you know when Home Office cert is up for renewal and give yourself enough time to fix things.
8. Keep well in with the Police and liaise accordingly for new members. If they say they are a danger to the public or will not award FAC don't let them join. Kick people out who have serious criminal records. Beware of people's insanity and dementia.
9. Bone up on Firearm Acts and guidance notes...See Library on here...Safe Shooting ...links.
10. Get qualified as an RCO yourself and others too. Get qualified coaches.
11. Bring harmony to the club, not division.
12. Make sure club insurance is UTD and not duplicated by other policies.
13. Make sure your affiliations are UTD eg NRA.
14. Liaise with BASC, Mike and the others on the legal team are first class...if you are a member.
15. Liase with membership secretary on Police liason and review application/renewal forms.
16. Ensure you are named on club FAC and regularly check guns and ammo...and their security. (We have combi Tann safes).
17. Get yourself a cheque book and get yourself on Bank mandate.
18. Get yourself a £250 petty cash imprest and keep receipts for everything.
19. Delegate authority not responsibility.
20. Keep minutes, call meetings (inc agenda compilation) with enough notice and in correct form..esp AGMs.
21. Organise the competitions.
22. Competency Certificate granting and renewal.
23. Keep the neighbours sweet.
24. Run the club house and car park.

You will be a very responsible person...when things go wrong, you are responsible.

HTH

Rob
Robin128

Re: Do we have a Club Full Bore Secretary on here?

#12 Post by Robin128 »

Was that any use Eggs on Leggs?

Rob