Scope suggestions for a .38 lever action gun

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

Scope suggestions for a .38 lever action gun

#1 Post by ptheta »

I'm not sure if .38/.357 really counts as full-bore but perhaps someone can help me anyway.

As soon as it arrives from the USA I'm going to be fitting a B-Square mount to my Rossi lever action carbine and was wondering what scope might suit it best. I shall be shooting this indoors at 25 yards most of the time although it may also see the odd trip up to Short Siberia. I also use it for plate shooting but for that I'll just take the mount off and use the basic open sights.

Can anyone suggest a scope I might put on it? I was thinking of something pretty compact as it wouldn't really suit a large scope. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it either. I would consider £100 to be an upper limit to my budget for this but to be honest I'd rather spend about half that.

I had a look at JSR scopes and they have a nice cheap 6x fixed zoom and I enquired what sort of gun it was rated for as it's obviously an airgun scope. I was told it was rated for non-FAC spring guns and I have my doubts if that would be sufficient for my needs but I'd welcome your opinions.

Thanks,
Paul.
woody_rod

Re: Scope suggestions for a .38 lever action gun

#2 Post by woody_rod »

I would use a red dot type of sight, maybe 2X power. That sort of rifle, coupled with the typically short ranges you wil be shooting on, means any sort of higher magnification will make it tough to use / sight. I would even consider a holographic sight, as used on pistols.

You should get a decent scope for 50 quid or a bit more.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#3 Post by Mike357 »

Gwyn Roberts wrote a good article on Target Shooter magazine a month or two ago about scopes on lever action rifles. Might not provide you with an answer but certainly will give you more information to think about. I'm afraid I can't remember what month it was but definetly in the last 6 I think.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
ptheta

#4 Post by ptheta »

Thanks Woody_rod but I think I'll need a little more magnification than that to see the paper targets accurately. I know it's hardly the right gun for precision shooting and I originally bought it for plate shooting but I only do that a few times a year and I want to get a bit more mileage out of it.

Thanks for the link Mike. I shall have to take a look through the back issues at lunchtime.

Thanks,
Paul.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

.38/.357 is fullbore, hey of it goes bang and something comes out the end it is good enough :D

Dalgo on this forum was showing me a sight the other day that would do the job, it has an illuminated spot in the middle is low power and impressive to look through. The only problem is I was not paying too much attention at the time so I am not sure of the spec. PM Dalgo, he may even part with it!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

Simmons 1.5 - 5 Whitetail. See you fine for out to 100 with a lever gun. Readily available and for around 100 quid.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
ptheta

#7 Post by ptheta »

I do like the look of the Simmons, thank. I shall have to mull things over a bit but I think that's probably what I'll get.

Mike, I had a look through the old issues of Target Sports but I could only find an article on scopes for pistols in the gallery section. That's not what you were thinking of is it?
lapua338

#8 Post by lapua338 »

Ptheta,
I've a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20mm riflescope for sale if you're interested. Optical quality is excellent at a reasonable price. It's been used on my 0.22LR rimfire and is in very good condition although there is evidence of use to the matte "granite" texture finish where the rings contacted the tube.
It's yours for £50.00 plus the P&P.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Sim G wrote:Simmons 1.5 - 5 Whitetail. See you fine for out to 100 with a lever gun. Readily available and for around 100 quid.
I concur.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:Simmons 1.5 - 5 Whitetail. See you fine for out to 100 with a lever gun. Readily available and for around 100 quid.
Thats what i had on my Marlin 1894C before my aversion to wood became absolute and i sold it! :lol: Cracking scope though, nice clear optics for the price
DVC