Re-barreling a 700

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
woody_rod

Re: Re-barreling a 700

#21 Post by woody_rod »

Sim G wrote:Rob,
... perhaps as already suggested a "fit for purpose" cartridge may be the better option than dropping 800 quid on 6 inches of extra barrel. That could mean the project being a complete new rifle, which is no bad thing!!!!
800 quid, wow you guys are getting ripped.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Re-barreling a 700

#22 Post by The Gun Pimp »

woody_rod wrote:
The Gun Pimp wrote:Rod,

I know it's hard to believe but you can actually use a prefit on a Barnard and on a BAT for that matter - I regularly mix 'n' match bolts, barrels and actions.

Similarly, Kelbly's (in America) will thread and chamber a barrel for your Stolle (in hte UK) - it's not uncommon with benchrest rifles with a glue-in action.

Cheers
Vince
Ok, go right ahead. I would caution anyone thinking about doing this. It is not recommended, and not a good idea. The less technically inclined might think they can do the same thing with a Remington or other mass produced actions. I don't see the advantage, except to say you can change bolts....what is the point?
Rod,
The point for me is that one £1000 BAT action can easily have (and does have) three barrels and two bolts. I can run it as my 308 F/TR, my 1000 yard benchrest rifle (7mmWSM) and my 600 yd benchrest rifle (6.5x47) A barrel-swap takes a couple of minutes and I'm ready to go. When I win the lottery, I'll buy two more BATs each with it's own stock and barrel.
Cheers
Vince