Re-barreling a 700

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Re-barreling a 700

#11 Post by 20series »

I have done exactly what you're talking about Rob,

Just had a 32" Truflite barrel fitted to my PSS, I has been fitted by Chris at UK Gunworks. It's been away for proof and he is just doing the crowning as I type so I can pick it up tomorrow :D .

My original 26" was brilliant out to 800 yards but started losing a bit past that distance. My intention is to enter the National F-TR league next year and I wanted to go in with the right kit to at least stand a chance to be competetive with only "the nut behind the Butt" to blame.

The other issue is that in order to fit the heavier profile barrel the standard HS precision stock would have needed lots removing to allow it to float so I've done a deal with Chris and I'm having a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock to replace the original.

HTH

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Robin128

#12 Post by Robin128 »

Let's get this straight then.

The chamber has to be matched to the action and bolt...yes? And I hear what D/ is saying...leave it to the experts.

Oh well, perhaps I'll get a 6.5mm rifle...need a project.

:)

Rob
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Rob, I would suggest the 6.5x47 Lapua, it is the same bolt face as the .308, they feed nicely through most .308 mags and they shoot very well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
woody_rod

#14 Post by woody_rod »

The Gun Pimp wrote: That video makes it look oh so simple! That vice wouldn't even remove a factory barrel from a Remmy! They are stubborn at times!
They sure can be, along with many others. Some need to have a portion of the reinforce ahead of the action turned off to relieve the pressure on the action face, and can then be almost removed by hand. I have had to do this quite a few times with older hunting rifles.....especially with original barrels.

I made my own barrel vise from two big blocks of aluminium. It looks a bit like the one shown, but is likely a lot stronger.
Then we have the little problem of headspace - possible to use a prefit with a Barnard - they are so accurately made - each one is identical but not so with a Remmy.
I doubt that. No two items made in a CNC can be identical (even if makers will tell you that)....it depends on how far you want to go. Headspace is parts of thousandths, not whole ones. There would be very few actions in the world that could be have a barrel unscrewed from one, and screwed into another and be exactly right. I feel it is not necessary (bordering on pointless), as all barrels need to be fitted individually in order to have the accuracy required, if we are talking about target rifles.
Prefit barrels for Remmys - as sold by Brownells - are 'short' so that the gunsmith can headspace in the lathe and properly fit your barrel. The headspace tolerance is very small - around four thou between the 'go' and 'no go' gauges.
The difference depends on what the tool company gives you, most of mine are 0.006" difference. I would prefer 0.002" GO to NOGO, to get a really good feel for the headspace. But then, there are variations between chamber reamers, headspace gauges, reloading dies, etc etc, all meaning that the idea of having "identical" is pretty pointless. it is only worthwhile if you are using the same rifle, same cases, same reloading dies etc. Any small change in any of the system will mean variations in other areas.
woody_rod

#15 Post by woody_rod »

ovenpaa wrote:Rob, I would suggest the 6.5x47 Lapua, it is the same bolt face as the .308, they feed nicely through most .308 mags and they shoot very well.
Yes, the 6.5 x 47 is a good one. The standard 260 Rem is also a good cartridge, same 308 bolt face, but necked down to 0.264". Both can do 1000 yards no problem, and both will have less windage and elevation than the 308 Win.
Robin128

#16 Post by Robin128 »

OK. Thanks for the advice. Plenty of food for thought.

:D

rob
The Gun Pimp

#17 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Rod,

I know it's hard to believe but you can actually use a prefit on a Barnard and on a BAT for that matter - I regularly mix 'n' match bolts, barrels and actions.

Similarly, Kelbly's (in America) will thread and chamber a barrel for your Stolle (in hte UK) - it's not uncommon with benchrest rifles with a glue-in action.

Cheers
Vince
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

Rob,

Shoved your load through Quickload with a 26" barrel and a 32" barrel, leaving all other things equal.

26" barrel gave a MV of 2435fps and the 32" a MV of 2536fps. At 1000 yds both were still supersonic, but only just. The 101fps advantage at the muzzle equated to 9fps more at 1000. The 32" barrel did have a flatter trajectory at 1000 yds, by 16 inches. At this range, with a 200 yd zero, the drop for both was in excess of 450 inches.......

Quickload is a theoretical programme.

That said, it was much as I thought, particularly with the .308. There certainly is a point of deminishing returns. Yep a lighter bullet driven faster may improve the figures, but, perhaps as already suggested a "fit for purpose" cartridge may be the better option than dropping 800 quid on 6 inches of extra barrel. That could mean the project being a complete new rifle, which is no bad thing!!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would have thought 46 grains of N540 or a tad more N550 behind the 174's would have been nearer the mark and should get you out there a bit. Or move to 155's which work well with 47-48 grains of N540 and Fed primers (if you try it then start low and work up!!!)

In the summer I can get on 1000 yards with 31MOA of elevation with a 24" barrel and 47.5 grns N540 and with 26" you can expect an MV gain of maybe 60fps which will help.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
woody_rod

#20 Post by woody_rod »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Rod,

I know it's hard to believe but you can actually use a prefit on a Barnard and on a BAT for that matter - I regularly mix 'n' match bolts, barrels and actions.

Similarly, Kelbly's (in America) will thread and chamber a barrel for your Stolle (in hte UK) - it's not uncommon with benchrest rifles with a glue-in action.

Cheers
Vince
Ok, go right ahead. I would caution anyone thinking about doing this. It is not recommended, and not a good idea. The less technically inclined might think they can do the same thing with a Remington or other mass produced actions. I don't see the advantage, except to say you can change bolts....what is the point?