How old are you?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

How old are you?

Under 20
1%
20-29
14%
30-39
18%
40-49
30%
50-59
23%
60-69
11%
Over 70
2%

Total votes: 560

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: How old are you?

#171 Post by Ovenpaa »

I often talk to my Mother about my shooting and she is in her late 80's. She listens patiently probably because she knows how passionate about the sport. We do have friends who are not shooters and they are tolerant and possibly slightly curious however that is about it. Shooting seems to be a Marmite thing, you either love or hate it.

To the best of my knowledge I have not met anyone who is a strongly opposed to shooting.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#172 Post by WelshShooter »

I'm quite open about it really. I won't tell people I shoot unless someone specifically asks what hobbies I do or what I get up to on the weekends. No point lying about it. I'd say 9/10 people are interested and always seem to ask about it during lunch time etc. It's funny that there's a lot of misconceptions about it, so many people think you can just go into an empty field and shoot to your hearts content and so on. Quite a lot of people have asked to come shooting with me which is great, so far I've taken two family members with me who really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, given my age bracket (26 yo) a lot of my friends are too impatient to go through the whole probationary period and FAC application. It's funny because it's not really difficult, you just have to wait a lot.
Topdogpippin
Home club or Range: Frome and district pistol club Ltd.

#173 Post by Topdogpippin »

Club of 150 very broad range of disciplines, the paracticalmshooters tend to be the younger ones. We have a few juniors as young as 11 prob 4 attend regularly, teenagers 4 or 5 but patchy attendance not really many 20-30 year olds 30 somethings prob 20 or so and compete in most disciplines, but, the long range shooting is almost exclusively the realm of the 40+ I think the marginal extra cost for equipment consumables and travelling to ranges dictate this.
TRG22 .308 S&B5-25x56PMII
Enfield No4MkII .303
Steyr SSG69 7.62 Kahles ZF95 10x
SGC 5.56 Spmstr match barrel Nikon M223
CZ .223 Kevlar Nikon Mon Target
Rimfire Magic 10/22 ATI Tactical Leupold VX111
Rimfire Magic 10/22 Volquartson Bush AR223
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#174 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:I'm quite open about it really. I won't tell people I shoot unless someone specifically asks what hobbies I do or what I get up to on the weekends. No point lying about it. I'd say 9/10 people are interested and always seem to ask about it during lunch time etc. It's funny that there's a lot of misconceptions about it, so many people think you can just go into an empty field and shoot to your hearts content and so on. Quite a lot of people have asked to come shooting with me which is great, so far I've taken two family members with me who really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, given my age bracket (26 yo) a lot of my friends are too impatient to go through the whole probationary period and FAC application. It's funny because it's not really difficult, you just have to wait a lot.

Only 26 Rich???........must have tough paper rounds in the Valleys!!! :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#175 Post by WelshShooter »

snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:I'm quite open about it really. I won't tell people I shoot unless someone specifically asks what hobbies I do or what I get up to on the weekends. No point lying about it. I'd say 9/10 people are interested and always seem to ask about it during lunch time etc. It's funny that there's a lot of misconceptions about it, so many people think you can just go into an empty field and shoot to your hearts content and so on. Quite a lot of people have asked to come shooting with me which is great, so far I've taken two family members with me who really enjoyed it.

Only 26 Rich???........must have tough paper rounds in the Valleys!!! :p
green55 green55

Funny guy! At least I've not gone grey yet lol
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#176 Post by snayperskaya »

Touche my good sir..... cheers
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
adiepie
Home club or Range: Driffield

#177 Post by adiepie »

I'm the youngest on the Gun Club Committee,.....at 56!

Adrian
falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

#178 Post by falco67 »

Well I have moved brackets..minus 1 in the 60-69 bracket and +1 in the over 70's :good:
Nathwraith
Home club or Range: Minsterly Ranges

#179 Post by Nathwraith »

Most people are surprised at my ages too (25) when you talk about firearms. They either think they are illegal or that only posh old bloke wearing tweed have access to them.
Burnie1000
Home club or Range: Stewarton and District Rifle Club

#180 Post by Burnie1000 »

29 :flag6: although rapidly approaching 30

Don't really mention to people that I go shooting unless they approach the subject first.