How old are you?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

How old are you?

Under 20
1%
20-29
14%
30-39
18%
40-49
30%
50-59
23%
60-69
11%
Over 70
2%

Total votes: 560

Cutch
Home club or Range: Glasgow and District Pistol Club

Re: How old are you?

#211 Post by Cutch »

I actually amazed that the ages of most shooters is on the older side. I honestly didn’t think that would be the case but after reading some of the comments it kinda makes sense, much harder for people to get into the sport etc. I’m most likely going to help my son(14) get his FAC very soon. If he deserves it! He’s is going to have to prove he is doing better at school with his grades and he will be rewarded with the FAC. I’m 38 by then way!
Grifff
Home club or Range: 8th Warwickshire Rifle Club

#212 Post by Grifff »

Voted

The rifle club I attend encouraged a few youngsters but mainly kids or grand kids of members. I think the parents get bored waiting for the kids to shoot if they have no interest and very few stay.

The intake of new shooters seems quite limited with a lot of talk about waiting lists but I think that's mainly the coffee room as I never have to wait to get in the range!

I also shoot at an air rifle ft club greyhound in Coventry and that has younger members but still a minority. In both clubs I am at the younger end of the scale at 47!
Cabarfeidh58
Home club or Range: Civil Service Shooting Club (Rosyth)

#213 Post by Cabarfeidh58 »

At 65 I am in the upper third, age wise in my club.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#214 Post by Hrun »

My smallbore club has a healthy junior intake which is promising, but I doubt any are members on here as they are too busy on fakebook :-)
derryMKXIII
Home club or Range: Wakefield Rifle and Pistol Club

#215 Post by derryMKXIII »

Voted!

There's definitely are theme of the older chaps(etes) making up the bulk of the shooting community - Which makes me glad that organisations such a British Young Shooters Association are around to help more young people (16-25) get into/continue shooting.
bkray
Home club or Range: Kynoch

#216 Post by bkray »

I'm 23 and have been shooting since joining the forces at 16. I left at 21 due to injury and now work in the shooting community.
My local clubs (4 of them) i would say the average age is atleast 40+ and from working somewhere with a private range, The majorty of shooters are 30+.
I have often asked myself why this is the case and while we wont know, we can at least hazard a guess as to why.
It appears that for the younger generation, if no one in your family shoots, then its unlikely you will get in to it. (no one else in my family shoots so there are exceptions). with the 'complex' laws and no easy guide to start shooting, its a daunting task at a young age on your own to get involved in the shooting community. This coupled with the fact your family, who don't shoot, are probably dubious about having firearms around.

The police also don't make it all that easy for young people, i know that they really tried to baby me (despite shooting more than a good 99% of people, it is my day job after all) and wouldn't allow me to have what i applied for on pretty much every variation along with numerous home visits (maybe this is just me?)

I also think that with the Self loading rifle ban and pistol ban, the shooting community took a massive hit (from talking to the older lads) and that, lets be honest, shooting in this country is kind of kept under the radar. I didn't even know i had a rifle club 2 miles from my house until i spoke to someone who used to shoot there. It's not an advertised sport really and that leads young people to believe its not a sport that anyone can partake in, within reason.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#217 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bkray, I do agree our sport is not particularly well advertised and I was surprised to hear we had a 25m range that we drove past on the way to our nearest town as there was no signage or advertising, being a full time RFD and shooter I would have hoped I knew about local clubs. Yes I know people would argue clubs should keep a low profile however without new members our sport will continue to decline. Obviously there are exceptions however too many clubs seem to actively discourage new membership.

These days our local club is some 12 miles away and is one of the few clubs I know that actively encourages new membership with regular events, it has over 1000 members on the books and is open 24/7 with absolutely unrestricted access to members.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
BIGFOOTKMW
Home club or Range: NRA

#218 Post by BIGFOOTKMW »

I'm 55 this year & shoot with a crowd 40-70yrs old. My Son who is 16 also shoots with us occasionally.....but only when he's not playing football & it's not too cold!!!
pumpkinman
Home club or Range: Offa's dyke, Swansea.

#219 Post by pumpkinman »

My age is approaching Normal retirement age , many in my club s are similar , younger members/ probationers are not so common recently , a small percentage of new shooters continue in this pastime. I some time envy the younger eyes that easily peer down iron sites.
turnaround

#220 Post by turnaround »

The national Glock club of which I was a member in continental Europe (in a country where permits to carry were issued rather routinely) was early 20s to early 30s.

The rifle club at which I shot in the antipodes was retirement age or older bar myself and 3 others in our 20s.