The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next

How old are you?
Under 20 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
20-29 13%  13%  [ 69 ]
30-39 18%  18%  [ 95 ]
40-49 31%  31%  [ 161 ]
50-59 23%  23%  [ 118 ]
60-69 11%  11%  [ 59 ]
Over 70 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 521
 Post subject: Re: How old are you?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 pm 

hi to you all
When we were at last years Phoenix meeting my grandson of 16 years [who has been shooting for 6 years] commented on the age of the people there, they were mainly either middle aged or fast approaching it. We do have a problem.

Regards Telshe [66]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am 

Home club or Range: Herts and Essex Shooting Assoc. Essex. Barton Rd. Cambridgeshire
Quote:
We do have a problem.

Unfortunately... yes we do.

Shame that not every club either recognises that fact or cares enough about their sport to do anything. Granted we do hit a lot of hurdles living in this draconian firearm repressive nation, but we have to do all we can, or in a dew decades the UK will be a completely non-shooting entity.

If that happens then I'm off to the US, haven't figured out how yet, but it's the "in case of emergency" plan

Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 am 

We do have a problem but it is only us who can solve it, I've spent many hours educating and training youngsters how to shoot, some younger than me, many the same age, the younger ones have a tendency to disappear during puberty, bar around a quarter who are really into shooting.

As for people my age, I have found mixed responses, when I was in 6th form at secondary school, some over zealous amnesty supporters put up posters calling for a complete ban on firearms (the campaign was actually aimed at stopping the selling of military heavy equipment to African dictatorships) I spent weeks going around classes and doing house assemblies trying to give our side to it, till I was finally told to jack it in by the new headmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 am 
The puberty thing happens with all sports/activities, boys discover boobs and booze! Nowt wins against that kind of distraction! Better to get 'em interested early and risk losing them than never shooting at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:34 am 

Im 41 and generally at my club its older people,but there are a lot more younger people now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:36 pm 

Was 40 in December and I think the oldest in our club is 85!! Dam good shot as well!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:33 pm 

Well at 19 I am definitely the minority of the shooting community, there are a few younger members, but no one who is close to my age takes it seriously or have their own FAC let alone own 5 firearms with spaces for more :) can't wait to pick up some bargains at Newark next Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 pm 

Home club or Range: Herts and Essex Shooting Assoc. Essex. Barton Rd. Cambridgeshire
19!?

Excellent, join our legend "Young Guns" - You can do it in your User Control Panel

Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member

NINETEEN!!!! Jeez I feel old now. :oops:

We will be there Saturday, look out for someone old, very old in fact, mid 50's type, probably with a Full-Bore Hoody and Christel will almost certainly be wearing a red Full-Bore Hoody and maye evn have red hair....

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Binbrook UK Live Weather

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:37 pm 

I have a solar panel
So no hair colours for me :grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next