Deactivated firearms versus imitations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Deactivated firearms versus imitations

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Can anyone explain/reason behind the thinking that it should be possible to obtain deactivated firearms, but that there are restrictions placed on realistic imitations ie Denix, and the likes of airsoft unless that is you are a member of an "Operatic company or authorised reinactor ". VCR act
Not that I would want to be either .
Just wondering...........
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

Re: Deactivated firearms versus imitations

#2 Post by DanTheMan »

Deactivated firearms are generally far more expensive and I would expect bought mostly by collectors and are used in fewer crimes. The Government of the day became obsessed with the idea that replicas were being used to commit crimes and I guess it was so easy and cheap to buy a replica for a few quid and threaten someone with it that the VCR was brought in to try and stop scrotes from a quick fix.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Deactivated firearms versus imitations

#3 Post by Mattnall »

I think the deactivated firearms like air weapons, are not 'imitation firearms' but the real thing, doesn't matter what they look like or if they are able to fire or not, so are not caught by the RIF rules.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.