Embarrassing shooting moments

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
ronboy

Re: Embarrassing shooting moments

#31 Post by ronboy »

Hi I was looking foreward to a shooting comp and was exited about it. I waited in the club room for my turn to shoot, then told to get my gear on the firing point only to discover I had brought the 308 bolt instead of 223. I was ribbed mercilesly. ronboy
Sawnoff

#32 Post by Sawnoff »

Out rough shooting with a mate about 6 years ago, we decided to sneak up on a duck pit and as i had just bought a brand new beretta i was to crawl the best part of 200 yards on my hands n knees to pole position at the end of the pond to guarentee christening it. after an eternity i got there having made the most painfull progress so i didn't get my new pride and joy dirty. My mate signaled from the top end of the pit and sent the dogs in. Que much quacking and flapping of wings as about 150 mallard came hurtling down the water towards me. I stood up sharply chose my first bird of what was obviously going to be a perfect christening left n right, pulled the trigger,,,,,,,CLICK,,,,,,,,BUGGER. Chose another bird,,,,,,,,CLICK,,,,,,,BUGGER.
MY mate saunters down and asks if there's a problem with my new baby and does it need to go back to the shop, my reply.
>
>
>
>
Not unles they they are going to sell me someone to put the cartridges in as well!!!!!

In my efforts to check i'd kept my new toy clean i had plum forgotten to actually load the thing once in position.

I've still not been allowed to forget that one.

And i'll not mention the round of .22 rimfire i left in my mums dining room floor, needles to say i'm a lot wiser for that little misshap and god can my mum still dish out a clip round the ear even at eighty!!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#33 Post by Ovenpaa »

Leaving a round of .22LR on the floor is not as bad as a shooter I know who went to pay for his petrol one day, plunged his hand into his pocket and produced a couple of live 7,62x51's with his loose change. Ooops.

Or a young lady in the England shooting team (Last year I think) who had a live round in her baggage whilst flying out to a competition.

I was flying out of Oslo back in September 2001 which was not a good time to be flying and people were going to be twitchy, or so I thought. At check in a couple bays down from me was a chap who was heading off on an internal flight, he had his rucksack on the floor and opened it to get something out and it tipped over...... spilling .338 Lap mags all over the place, maybe a dozen hit the floor and were rolling under peoples feet and all over the place. Huge fun :lol:

A nice looking airport lady helped him track them down and drop them back in his bag and off he went to catch his flight.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#34 Post by Robin128 »

Sawnoff wrote:.

And i'll not mention the round of .22 rimfire i left in my mums dining room floor, needles to say i'm a lot wiser for that little misshap and god can my mum still dish out a clip round the ear even at eighty!!
My mother in law has just turned 90, and getting a bit demented...but I nearly wet myself yesterday when her son, a 17st agricultural contractor got a good punch on the arm when he tried to wind her up.... :lol: :lol:

Rob
Polchraine

#35 Post by Polchraine »

At one of my previous companies we were having a visit from Royalty ... the day before the visit they took the explosives dogs around the development labs and they kept getting various alerts from the dogs but could not understand why. As they moved through the building they were working on three floors and getting towards the goods in, stores and some storage areas - the dogs went absolutely manic. the police had forgotten that torpedoes contain explosives - both as propellant and in the warheads! After that they gave up!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
rox

#36 Post by rox »

ovenpaa wrote:Or a young lady in the England shooting team (Last year I think) who had a live round in her baggage whilst flying out to a competition.
Whilst preparing to be patted-down and wanded while going through security into the Delhi village, I was disconcerted to feel the shape of a round in my pocket. I realised it was a snap cap, and hoped that the alloy wouldn't activate the wand. Wrong! It caused quite a stir. Having experienced Indian firearms checks I expected the worst, and it went way up the chain of command before someone restored common sense to proceedings. One of my team-mates was found with a few boxes of .22 ammo, which was subsequently shipped to the range to be 'returned' to her (never to be seen again). Another team-mate only realised after passing through security that he had a box of sg ammo in his bag which hadn't been detected.

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

rox wrote:Whilst preparing to be patted-down and wanded while going through security into the Delhi village.....

<snip>
On the subject of embarrassing Rox did you shoot with the electronics in India last year?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tisme

#38 Post by tisme »

Hi
I had just got ready to go out looking for fox when my wife said her mother who lives with us was unwell and might need to go to hospital. I very quickly put the clip in the ammo safe and the rifle in its safe. I went next door and phoned a doctor.
Two or three hours later, there we were in A&E when a nurse said she wanted to do some test on my mother in law and could I go and sit over there. As I sat down next to a police officer a round rolled out my combat trouser pocket. I caught in as it fell, held I tight and said " Bloody trousers, I'm always loosing change out of them. He looked at me for a couple of seconds and smiled.
Never did work out if he saw it or not.
I must not put rounds in my pockets, new years resolution 2011

Pete
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#39 Post by 25Pdr »

Practicing firing the Energa anti-tank rifle grenade (No94) from a SLR, I found it to be a tight fit on the launcher, but kind of forced it on anyway, loaded the Ballistite blank cartridge took aim and fired. A bang and a flash and the front half of the Grenade flew off leaving the base stuck on the launcher.

Good job it was a practice Grenade as it broke in the middle where the detonator would have been on a live round. :o
rox

#40 Post by rox »

[/quote]On the subject of embarrassing Rox did you shoot with the electronics in India last year?[/quote]

Had 22 days on the bloody things.