Embarrassing shooting moments

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Embarrassing shooting moments

#41 Post by Ovenpaa »

It looks to be a lovely venue Rox, the Aussies are still seething about the electronics to this day, lets hope some valuable lessons were learnt by the host country and future organisers.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

#42 Post by rox »

ovenpaa wrote:the Aussies are still seething about the electronics to this day
They are not alone.
ovenpaa wrote:lets hope some valuable lessons were learnt by the host country and future organisers.
Unfortunately it has set back the case for electronics, and that case has been further set back by the shambolic efforts to introduce them at Bisley.
One of the best UK multi-distance installations for competitive target shooting is in Scotland, but I very much doubt that electronics will be used at the Glasgow games.

Ovenpaa

#43 Post by Ovenpaa »

To this day I find Bisley electronics a bit of a lottery having had good and bad days, on more than one occasion I have spoken to shooters whilst walking to the firing point and been greeted with sharp intakes of breath when I mentioned which target I was on. Luckily the range office is usually quick to resolve any issues.

We regularly shoot in Denmark on electronics and I cannot think of a single bad experience with electronics, I do wonder how they can get it right and other countries have so many issues.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dalgo

#44 Post by Dalgo »

This is going back a few years...

I was operating the trap for a new shooter. A young lady who had come up with her dad and was not doing to well.

After about ten missed birds we stepped things down for her and I made the birds as slow as possible with a good long exposure.

...Well she missed the clay but took out a rather large wood pidgeon that was flying a good 20 metres away from the target.

The look on her face was priceless! Clean kill to! :shock:

To this day I don't know if she ever picked up a shotgun again. She nearly burst into tears when I said I'd go and get it for her dinner...that may have been the nail in the coffin...sorry. :(

-Dalgo
Robin128

#45 Post by Robin128 »

Last week I was gonna try the going straight away clay only to find it out of action...someone shot the electronic thrower and did a bloody good job of it!
Polchraine

#46 Post by Polchraine »

One of the women that shoots occasionally was there last weekend - she normally scores about 10/50 but enjoys herself and helps out.

Last weekend she was not doing too well. The first bird on the stand was coming in from behind and just to the right, plus the wind was holding it in the air. BANG and she missed, the second bird was a medium height crosser from left to right, it was delayed a second or two for her benefit, but as it came across, BANG and she missed it, however the first was still sitting in the air and suddenly just turned to dust!

OK maybe it was luck, but two pairs later, she did exactly the same!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa

#47 Post by Ovenpaa »

My ex was a keen clay shot and was competing with me in a county 120 bird shoot one miserable cold day, last stand was Teal situated behind a low bank to protect the trap. She watched me shoot, and being so close it was a nightmare to get on. So with a reasonable audience she pointed the gun just above the bank, called 'Pull' and shot the clay at maybe 4 feet in the air, and repeated for the following 9, she was not even watching the bird on the last couple. Apparently she was waiting for the clang of the trap and pulling the trigger.

I was cringing towards the end especially as one of the county teams wife was up for the ladies prize until that point and he was seriously unamused at such antics. They stopped the stand at that point. :oops:

The ex took the ladies prize as well. :oops: :oops:
/d

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#48 Post by dromia »

I can see why she's your ex. :D

Don't you just hate people that are good at things without effort. :twisted:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#49 Post by Ovenpaa »

The words cheating and unsporting were used a few times :(
/d

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#50 Post by dromia »

Nowt worse than a cheating wife, or husband. :(

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/