Rats ...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

Rats ...

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Been trying to get a problem one for several days and keep getting thwarted - wife closing the window deliberately left open, wife turning on an outside light so I "could see better", &c.

Just now it was sitting there facing straight towards me - aimed straight for the temple, pellet went in and exited halfway down the back! It somersaulted backwards, sat there for a couple of second which I how I could see the exit then upped and ran of before I could get a second shot!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
barney57

Re: Rats ...

#2 Post by barney57 »

Polchraine wrote:Been trying to get a problem one for several days and keep getting thwarted - wife closing the window deliberately left open, wife turning on an outside light so I "could see better", &c.

Just now it was sitting there facing straight towards me - aimed straight for the temple, pellet went in and exited halfway down the back! It somersaulted backwards, sat there for a couple of second which I how I could see the exit then upped and ran of before I could get a second shot!
Adrenalin!! he'll probably crawl off somewhere and die,,,,
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I woke about 1:30 this morning to hear them in the roof above our bedroom, the joys of old houses... :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

barney57 wrote:
Polchraine wrote:Been trying to get a problem one for several days and keep getting thwarted - wife closing the window deliberately left open, wife turning on an outside light so I "could see better", &c.

Adrenalin!! he'll probably crawl off somewhere and die,,,,
In the middle of my neighbours lawn probably - just like one a few weeks back! A nice 12" plus tail just lieing there - my neighbour shot it four or five times before he came to the conclusion it was already dead!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

ovenpaa wrote:I woke about 1:30 this morning to hear them in the roof above our bedroom, the joys of old houses... :(
I had this once...it may be birds or bats...but still a nuisance. If its rats/mice they could chew lighting or shower cable.... :shock:

I got rid of mine in a flash :D by using a wee ultrasonic device plugged into a bulb holder.

Rob
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is a Rat, we live in the boonies with fields to the front and stables at the end of the garden. So we do see them from time to time. Our bedroom goes up into the roof void partly so the ends are sloping (There is probably a name for is) Anyway this means my head is just a couple of feet under the roof. Now imagine a pitch black room and the sound of scratching just above your head...

The ultrasonic thingy sounds attractive, but so does poison.... :twisted:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#7 Post by HeatherW762 »

Jim, our cat, comes into work with us on a daily basis - so how come our office was the only one with mice!!?? Had to put traps down in the end as he really wasn't bothered.

I think I may have put him off catching wildlife in the office when I stopped him catching the adder!!!! :lol:

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Angelfire

#8 Post by Angelfire »

Watch out if bats are involved, think they have some kind of protection order on them, not allowed for the human species to hurt or move them on. That's if the bat brigade know they are there in the first place of course. Otherwise ---- ------ --

Regards

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.
ronboy

#9 Post by ronboy »

Hi ref rats and mice. If you must use a cat to catch mice don't feed it for a couple of days, when it is really hungry the cat should fancy a mouse and get to like the taste. It's my experiance that rats and mice can breed faster than you can kill them using poison or a cat. I had a farm in Norfolk, with sheep, pigs, chickens and turkeys, turkeys in particular and rats seem to go together. After trying several methods I bought a night vision sight and on the first outing, in the dark, around my poultry sheds were literaly hundreds of rats of all sizes. They took no notice of me as I shot them with a silenced rimfire. The next day I collected two carrier bags full of bodies. It took me a whole month to reduce the problem. A pal on another farm aquired six cats and they were scared of the rats and only killed little owls and song birds. Finally rats do not look up, I've shot them in daylight from up a tree or an upstairs window. Ronboy
Blu

#10 Post by Blu »

Ovenpaa
Our bedroom goes up into the roof void partly so the ends are sloping (There is probably a name for is)
Aye there is, it's called a sloping roof :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: OK I'll get me coat.

Seriously though the ultrasonic thing does work, we had rats coming into our barn and chewing stuff, stuck a couple of those things in and they worked great, haven't seen any for more than a year now. The also work great on moles, the stick it in the ground type really keeps them away.

Blu :twisted: