What parts do you leave on the bench?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dangermouse

What parts do you leave on the bench?

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I currently have two rifles in bits and was today working on the 10/22 when the wife called me to go to the shops with her.

I was about to descend into the real world when I glanced at my bench and thought that some parts should probably be in the safe, to stay legal.

As I have a small collection of Rifles this is no problem for me and is only a matter of discipline on my behalf, but I started to wonder how RFD's, Gunsmiths and people with larger collections cope.
Surely not everyone works in a room which becomes a safe when they close the door?
I could argue that my self as my Attic hatch is metal and has a integral lock - but I won't chance it.

As parts get replaced and spares start to mount up, what do you all do with those pressure bearing parts that the RFD wants to See locked away?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: What parts do you leave on the bench?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Barrel, receiver and bolt always go back in a cabinet which can be a PITA if we need to leave the house for some reason. I am however quite happy to leave everything out for a couple of hours if Christel is in the house, an example being a 'deep' clean of a barrel.

We have shared access and additional conditions on our FAC's allowing each of us to be in procession of the other firearms and ammunition so it is quite legal but I am never happy to leave something out regardless.

I would include my FAC in the above, it is always locked away unless I am out shooting, then it is in my bag.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Never thought about my FAC! it has until now, moved around the house but normally sits in my range bag so that by default I take it with me when I go to the range.
The only reason it is not there now is because I took it along to hand the action over to Mick.

Will change my habits and stick it in the safe in the morning - I guess if I put it on top of the guns it will be the first thing I see when I take them out.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

I usually have my FAC in the glove box, I have one bag for Small-bore and one for Full-bore so I find it's better to keep it seperate.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I leave mine in an ammunition safe with the bolts. A good friend of mine used to always leave his in his glove compartment and had his car stolen one day, he reported the loss of the car but forgot about his FAC until a few days later. He told me later he came in for a lot more flak from the authorities than he had ever expected.

I have never forgotten the story and keep mine locked up as a consequence. I keep my SCC, NRA and club membership cards on a lanyard inside a plastic wallet with my FAC and first thing I do on a shooting day is separate them cards go round my neck and the FAC in my bag. I would hate to not have them with me and be subjected to an MoD spot check on SCC's when shooting for my club's sake as much as mine.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Yeah...bolt, receiver and barrel must be away...and moderators.