Shooting in sight with new target centre for 2014 games

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#1 Post by 25Pdr »

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Shoo ... 6685306.jp

A SHOOTING centre that could be used to host events for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and to train top athletes has won backing from the Scottish Government.
Shona Robison, Minister for Public Health and Sport, agreed to offer support from Sportscotland for the £4.5 million development near Livingston.
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

Re: Shooting in sight with new target centre for 2014 games

#2 Post by spud »

Fingers crossed
ImageImage
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

During the games, it would host pistol, rifle, clay pigeon, smallbore rifle and archery events.
Very good news indeed.

Hmm...4.5m is not a huge investment in comparison to the cost of the temporary shooting arrangements being put in place for the Olympics. Heather or anyone, what is happening with Bisley and the Olympic bid, is all lost now?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

#4 Post by rox »

Is this location commutable from the Glasgow village, or would it require a satellite village?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

2nd time a post hasn't gone on to a thread!

As I was saying it is great news but I think establishing the site on an ex MOD site would be better as it saves all the ground works required for range building. An MOD site would only require the pistol and CP sites built. Might make sense with teh MOD budget cuts etc.

However at least the games will leave a legacy for shooting unlike the Olympics!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mike357 wrote:2nd time a post hasn't gone on to a thread
Mike, if you are answering a post and someone posts a reply before you then the forum software will show you the new post and ask if you still want to submit your reply. Great in principle but the message is at the top and easily missed.

It has happened to me a couple of times.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Angelfire

#7 Post by Angelfire »

ovenpaa wrote:
During the games, it would host pistol, rifle, clay pigeon, smallbore rifle and archery events.
Very good news indeed.

Hmm...4.5m is not a huge investment in comparison to the cost of the temporary shooting arrangements being put in place for the Olympics. Heather or anyone, what is happening with Bisley and the Olympic bid, is all lost now?

ovenpaa,

Aye, I think we have been ignored by those who govern us, even though I doubt if any of the decision makers know the difference between a bow and arrows and a modern rifle.

Legacy, legacy, legacy was the mantra chanted by the head honcho LORD (joke in itself) Coe. From the clay point of view, I believe we will get the traps that are used in the Olympics - oh goody, what a big legacy that is.

We have been shaft@d by our masters, plain and simple. Just imagine the shooting complex that could have been built at Bisley (for instance) for the 50 million spent on Woolwich. 50 million to build then raise to the ground after the games are finished. But hey ho, this Country is dripping in money at this present time - isn't it?

Regards

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.