What is the longest aimed shot you have taken?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Robin128

Re: What is the longest aimed shot you have taken?

#21 Post by Robin128 »

Scotsgun wrote:Target shooting - 1475yds (regularly shoot on a hillside in Dumfries & Galloway)
Fox - just short of 700yds (he wandered out into the clear whilst mate and i were checking dope charts)
Other - approx 900yds (couldn't confirm exactly).
700 on a fox...which part of the fox did you hit and what did you rest on, Marc?

pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#22 Post by pe4king »

Sim G wrote:You were there and you know I didn't get it!!!!

Come to think of it, was our longest aimed shot not 23 miles........? You know, at France.....
memory is short these days :) yes I think france did get a hammering that day, do you think I would get a slot for an 18" coastal gun whilst my ticket is in :twisted: I know I would have to do the HME thing :lol:
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Scotsgun

#23 Post by Scotsgun »

Robin128 wrote: 700 on a fox...which part of the fox did you hit and what did you rest on, Marc?
I'd just worked out a load for my Steyr SSG69 in 308 using 168gr Hornady A-Max bullets, had fed the relevant figures into the ballistic calc program and had printed up a drop chart.

I have access to a great little secluded valley that stretches out to approx 900 yds and had spent the morning there testing the chart and making corrections. After stopping for a breather my mate nudged me and pointed out a fox that had broken out from the treeline and was wandering across the valley, roughly inline with the marker rock (we've painted large rocks for reference).

I quickly got back down behind the rifle which was on a bipod, dialled the range into the scope and yelled. He stopped and i shot him in the chest.

The Kahles scope i have on that rifle is great. Once 'accurised' you just dial in the range (allowing for degrees in elevation) and away you go - the elevation turret is set in 25yd increments; rather than moa, etc.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#24 Post by Mike357 »

In my younger days I would have taken a pot shot at anything at any range. Feeding geese and a 22 were the norm.

Personally, and only in my opinion, shooting at any animal where you can't be more or less certain of a clean humane kill is irresponsible and doesn't do the public perception of shooting any good.

But I'm glad you dropped him.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Robin128

#25 Post by Robin128 »

Scotsgun wrote:
Robin128 wrote: 700 on a fox...which part of the fox did you hit and what did you rest on, Marc?
I'd just worked out a load for my Steyr SSG69 in 308 using 168gr Hornady A-Max bullets, had fed the relevant figures into the ballistic calc program and had printed up a drop chart.

I have access to a great little secluded valley that stretches out to approx 900 yds and had spent the morning there testing the chart and making corrections. After stopping for a breather my mate nudged me and pointed out a fox that had broken out from the treeline and was wandering across the valley, roughly inline with the marker rock (we've painted large rocks for reference).

I quickly got back down behind the rifle which was on a bipod, dialled the range into the scope and yelled. He stopped and i shot him in the chest.

The Kahles scope i have on that rifle is great. Once 'accurised' you just dial in the range (allowing for degrees in elevation) and away you go - the elevation turret is set in 25yd increments; rather than moa, etc.
Good one mate!

:)
Scotsgun

#26 Post by Scotsgun »

Mike357 wrote: Personally, and only in my opinion, shooting at any animal where you can't be more or less certain of a clean humane kill is irresponsible and doesn't do the public perception of shooting any good.
Re-read the post mate. I had only just confirmed exact bullet drop out beyond that range and was 100% sure that the fox was already dead, before pulling the trigger.

Lastly, have you ever seen what a 308 does to a fox? When i say that i shot the chest, what would be a more accurate description was that it was reduced to a bloody mess without a chest!
Robin128

#27 Post by Robin128 »

Scotsgun wrote:
Mike357 wrote: Personally, and only in my opinion, shooting at any animal where you can't be more or less certain of a clean humane kill is irresponsible and doesn't do the public perception of shooting any good.
Re-read the post mate. I had only just confirmed exact bullet drop out beyond that range and was 100% sure that the fox was already dead, before pulling the trigger.

Lastly, have you ever seen what a 308 does to a fox? When i say that i shot the chest, what would be a more accurate description was that it was reduced to a bloody mess without a chest!
Pictured that as soon as you said it was a 308win...:)
Chuck

#28 Post by Chuck »

mike, all my rifles had mags, the guys at Blair Athol are generally OK, I shot F Class, sometimes I had to use a mag with ONE round in it as top loading was not viable, even with a mag in.

In the last comp I used full 10 round mags + mags with 2 rounds for sighters. Worth puting up with for the chance to shoot at those distances.....Oh but get bucket loads of midgie cream..and maybe some net, they are unbelieveable up there.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!