CWGC Grave.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Re: CWGC Grave.

#111 Post by Jenks »

It is one hundred years ago today 3rd November that Lance Corporal Walter Herbert smith died as a result of wounds he received in Ploogsteert woods trenches near Ypres.
I went across this morning to tidy his grave.

Lest we forget.
Chuck

#112 Post by Chuck »

Good work Jenks, well done :good: :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#113 Post by meles meles »

Indeed so: well done that man.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Jenks

#114 Post by Jenks »

Charles Moore on the death of his great uncle one hundred years ago.I found it very moving.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... again.html

From linked article:
This column comes to you from Ypres, in Belgium. At 3.30 yesterday afternoon, three generations of our family gathered in Zwarteleen Wood, nearby, to mark the exact centenary of the death of my great-uncle, Lieutenant Gillachrist (“Gilla” or “the Gilla”) Moore, Royal Sussex Regiment, aged 20. In that place and at that moment, he was shot through the heart by a German sniper.
When he had read his dead son’s diary, Gilla’s father went for a walk on the farm at home and heard and saw a wren in the hedge: “I said to it: 'are you any relation to the wren that came into the trench to talk to my dear Gilla?”, he wrote in his own diary, “I spoke in a natural tone. The wren came on to a bough quite close to me… I looked at its head & eye & its beautifully marked grey & brown plumage & its pretty cocked up tail & it stayed a long time & then quietly went away. It seemed quite as if the bird felt with me & I expect the wren the Gilla saw behaved in the same way.”
This is a classic example of what grammarians call the pathetic fallacy – attributing human qualities to other creatures. Obviously the English wren did not feel with my great-grandfather, nor the Belgian one with poor Gilla. But that is not really the point. The point has to do with intensity of human experience and with how we try to understand our own lives.
It is sad that it takes death in war to evoke such intensity. But there it is. In Ypres yesterday, we brought some earth from that farm to scatter at the site. At 3.30pm, as if on cue, a wren sang in the yellowing wood.
On October 13th at 1400hrs next year I will be laying a wreath in a field at Auchy les Mines to mark the anniversay of my Great Uncle Williams Death. I'm guessing I will be in the company of people from Leictershire Linconshire and Staffordshire.

Jenks
Reedy1871

#115 Post by Reedy1871 »

Hi all i know this is an old thread but via the power of Google i only discovered this yesterday. Walter Smith is my Great Grandfather.My mother who is still alive is rhe daughter of Walters son also called Walter.If anybody has the contact details for Jenks please message me as id like to thank him for his work on the grave
Polchraine

#116 Post by Polchraine »

Reedy1871 wrote:Hi all i know this is an old thread but via the power of Google i only discovered this yesterday. Walter Smith is my Great Grandfather.My mother who is still alive is rhe daughter of Walters son also called Walter.If anybody has the contact details for Jenks please message me as id like to thank him for his work on the grave
Have sent a PM, no details but a couple of suggestions.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#117 Post by Ovenpaa »

Will Reedy1871 be able to receive a PM as he has less than 15 posts?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#118 Post by dromia »

Jenks hasn't been on here for nigh on four years so I have no idea as to the current veracity of his details or his status.

However if you wanted I could try sending him your email address with the address we have for him and say you would like to get in touch with him?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Reedy1871

#119 Post by Reedy1871 »

Great news ive found him and are in contact via the power of google and airn&b!
Polchraine

#120 Post by Polchraine »

Reedy1871 wrote:Great news ive found him and are in contact via the power of google and airn&b!
Great News ... And possibly the perfect day too.

Give him my regards when you speak to him. I know he took great pride in doing what he did.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.