The Somme : secret Tunnel Wars.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

The Somme : secret Tunnel Wars.

#1 Post by Jenks »

Did anyone see this Last night..A very interesting programme about the tunnellers laying the mines around La Boiselle especially Y Sap and Lochnagar. The programme is still available on IPlayer..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... nnel_Wars/

Y Sap is no longer to be seen but thanks to Richard Dunning's purchase of the crater, Lochnagar is still very much in evidence.A definite must see if in the region.

This is an excellent website well worth exploring

http://www.lochnagarcrater.org/

Of the crater Richard Dunning writes:
People who stand on the lip for the first time, including the thousands of young people, instinctively understand the fearsome power and destruction of modern warfare and, in reading the many evocative memoirs of the soldiers themselves, the terror and vulnerability of those who experienced it.
I have visited the site several times and each time I feel as he describes.

Jenks
PaulR

Re: The Somme : secret Tunnel Wars.

#2 Post by PaulR »

Hi Jenks

Didn't see the program as I'm away but I have been to Lochnagar and like the owner and may others, found it deeply moving, sad and incredibly impressive all at the same time.

It is that big that it's impossible to take photo's from the top that captures it from rim to rim. Possibly you could try with the new Panorama technology in some cameras though.

There are other craters still in existence, mostly water filled ponds now, but nothing like the scale of the Lochnagar.

There was one museum we visited that had a 3d model of an actual tunnel system under a section of the front. Incredibly sophisticated with Arterial tunnels interconnected by smaller one.

Very brave men the tunnellers.

PaulR
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
Jenks

#3 Post by Jenks »

PaulR..

I don't know if you have visited the Canadian Memorial on Vimy Ridge. There have some tunnels there that the public can go down (accompanied of course) very interesting seeing the little accommodation/ office spaces dug into the tunnel walls. They even have a water pumping gallery still littered with some of the original pumping equipment. Of all of the great memorials I think The Canadian Memorial is probably the most inspiring, if thats the correct word.

Canadian Memorial..

Tunnel..

Water pumping station..

Jenks
shotgun sam

#4 Post by shotgun sam »

As a family we were at Vimmy Ridge a few years ago out of all the places we went to (Normandy beaches, Albert, Peron and the Somme) the one that brought it home to us how horrific the war would have been was the roads through the memorial/battle area are fenced off with the wooded areas pock marked with craters and signs saying danger unexploded ordnance.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Jenks

#5 Post by Jenks »

S/Sam.

Have you seen the excellent series parts, 1 to 10 on the story of the battle for Vimy Ridge. Highly recommended viewing..

Watching the part about the winter of 1917 and being very honest I can't help thinking that I might have been unable to have coped with it. Thank goodness that I have never been tested to such a degree.

Jenks
shotgun sam

#6 Post by shotgun sam »

Jenks,

Thanks for posting about the videos like you say I am glad we would not have to do that.
It makes me think even more about my day at Vimmy Ridge.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
amyjane

#7 Post by amyjane »

Thanks for the link Jenks - I missed the first airing and am looking forward to watching this!