100th anniversary of WWI approaches.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: 100th anniversary of WWI approaches.

#21 Post by 450 Martini »

Speaking of reenactments Every November i take part along with several ww1 reenactment groups in the "night in the trenches" event at the staffordshire regiment museum. This event takes groups of 30 around 100 yards of replicated trench, and includes demonstrations of simulated gas attacks, mining and artillery bombardment simulated through pyrotecnics. this event is diffrent to other reenactments as the visitors are right at the heart of the action instead of behind a rope half a mile away. At the end of the show me and the rest of the platoon go over the top and assult the "german" position only to be cut down by machine gun fire, it certanly creates a atmosphere and is one of the best ww1 reenactment events held in the UK. As event armourer i normally scource all the blank ammo and supply rifle and machine gun cleaning materals.
The picture (taken from the machine gun position) shows my section in action on firestep B last year. Im on the firestep 2nd from the left, just closing the bolt on my SMLE.
Attachments
Night in the Trenches.jpg
Jenks

#22 Post by Jenks »

450 Martini..

You are all far too clean/smart! ;) And are some of the chaps wearing 'Pattern 37' web belts?

Jenks
Blu

#23 Post by Blu »

Jenks, you may have already seen this given that it's country of origin is the UK. If you haven't seen it then it's well worth a look, those Army miners were some really brave men.

Blu :twisted:
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#24 Post by 450 Martini »

Jenks, the chap 2nd from the right is certainly not wearing 37 pattern belt, Some detail is lost in the resizing process but i'm looking at the original high def picture and the whole series of images taken that night. and its certainly a 08 pattern. What is quite intresting is the vast amount of cap badges on parade. in this one picture i can see Royal marines, Royal naval division, 16th Lancers, leictershire regiment, royal warwicks, south staffordshire and the Black watch. Quite a cross section of troops that fourght on the front line. The Chaps are not muddied up as 12 hours after this event most of them are on parade at various invited rememberance events, and its not good form to arrive at these events with dull buttons and plastered in mud.
Jenks

#25 Post by Jenks »

Blu wrote:Jenks, you may have already seen this given that it's country of origin is the UK. If you haven't seen it then it's well worth a look, those Army miners were some really brave men.

Blu :twisted:
Blu..

Thanks for that, I had seen it but it was worth watching again. And of course I agree with you when you say .

those Army miners were some really brave men
Imagine what it must have been like for an ordinary squaddie with no underground experience, forced to act as a fighting patrol in a tunnel..Or indeed ordered underground to work on a tunnel. I remember reading Sebastian Faulks 'Birdsong' and then later watching it on the TV, and thinking to myself that I couldn't have done that. And lets not forget the 'Bevin Boys' at home, conscripted to work in the coal mines . Brave men all.

Jenks