100th anniversary of WWI approaches.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Re: 100th anniversary of WWI approaches.

#11 Post by Jenks »

Chuck wrote:Horrific numbers really - yet the public supported the troops, can you imagine the outcries nowadays if that happened.
Chuck...

No TV streaming live action back in those days! I wonder how different it might have been if the peoples of Germany, France, Great Britain and all the other combatant nations had the communication tools we take for granted today.

Jenks
rox

#12 Post by rox »

450 Martini wrote:highlights for next year include Mons commemerations, and the siege of antwerp.
Can you point me at anywhere I can find information about these two events? I live in Antwerp, and my neice used to live in Mons. Would be interested to see these events if I'm here.

Thanks!
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

Jenks - yes that's a fair comment though we did have Pathe news or such like, albeit as per today, skewed to give OUR version of events. I think we call it propaganda and "spin".

I remember seeing a documentary on WW1 with a clip that is well shown on tv nowadays: seemingly it showed our troops going over the top, with one chap sliding back into the trench . Seemingly all was well with the audience until someone remarked "oh my god, he's dead!"

I am not sure I like all this embedded camera stuff (apart from the dangers imposed on our troops in nurse-maiding war correspondents in a battle) and I really dislike "social media" being used and more importantly ABUSED to justify gratuitous invasion of other countries.

The recent example of kids killed by Islamic loonies being held up by the holier than thou Americans as proof of ASSADs regime doing it is a point!

This is a re-enactment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa9EK-PfyF8 Did our officers use 1911 pistols?? I thought they used Webley revolvers
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
whoowhoop

#14 Post by whoowhoop »

I think that clip of the trenches you mentioned was a studio shot one.
There is another clip of them
walking through the wire and that was staged as well.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#15 Post by saddler »

Chuck wrote:This is a re-enactment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa9EK-PfyF8
NOPE - your link is to a WW1 based MOVIE

Chuck wrote:Did our officers use 1911 pistols?? I thought they used Webley revolvers
Er - the hurrp durrp is strong in this one kukkuk - "OUR OFFICERS" used whatever pistols/revolvers they chose to buy at the Army & Navy stores when purchasing their other items of uniform. The Colt M1911 in 455 Webley being but one option...depending on where you shopped.
The M1911 shown in the clip above (in the hands of a US Army officer, surrounded by US Army troops armed with M1903 Springfields, wearing US Army uniforms topped off with M1917 Brodie helmets, etc. etc.) WILL in that case have reflected an issue pistol for that particular nation...but not "ours" unless you are a US citizen.

I may have to tout for work and assist local groups that need a qualified military historian to provide information or artefacts...1914 WILL have caught MOST school teachers unaware as from experience they have trouble counting past 10 unless they take their socks off.
2015 will be a good year as I had an uncle at Galipoli in 1915, so can provide a few tales of his time there perforating "Johnny Turk" - who, like their German friends - are always improved somewhat once plugged in the noggin with a 303.
Chuck

#16 Post by Chuck »

Saddler, I know it's a movie, maybe re-enactment was wrong word given the knowledge on here, recreation would have been better maybe.
I had an uncle at Galipoli in 1915, so can provide a few tales of his time there perforating "Johnny Turk" - who, like their German friends - are always improved somewhat once plugged in the noggin with a 303.
:lol: That's as maybe but they still kicked our asses thanks to a wee guy called Mustapha Kemal Ataturk!
Mustafa Kemal was given the task of organizing and commanding the 19th Division attached to the Fifth Army during the Battle of Gallipoli. Mustafa Kemal became the front-line commander after correctly anticipating where the Allies would attack and holding his position until they retreated
Of course the fact the whole campaign was a disaster in the planning and commanding is another story.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jenks

#17 Post by Jenks »

A lot of film footage of WW1 was faked (sanitised) there are several articles on the subject.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history ... r-on-film/

From linked article:

The South African conflict set a pattern that later war photography would follow for decades (and which was famously repeated in the first feature-length war documentary, the celebrated 1916 production The Battle of the Somme, which mixed genuine footage of the trenches with fake battle scenes shot in the altogether safe environs of a trench mortar school behind the lines. The movie played to packed and uncritically enthusiastic houses for months.

I have a boxed double cassette entitled The Battles of the 'Somme and Ancre'. Largely made up from Imperial war museum footage.

Jenks
Chuck

#18 Post by Chuck »

Sounds like a good watch jenks.
Jenks

#19 Post by Jenks »

Chuck wrote:Sounds like a good watch jenks.
Chuck..

Yes not a bad watch, but not as good as my Rolex Submariner....... boom! boom!............. :lol: :run: ;)

Forgive my levity. They are indeed very interesting especially if you have visited the area and of course are familiar with the events depicted.

Jenks
Chuck

#20 Post by Chuck »

I'll let you away with that jenks, glad you were watching.

Posted a couple of pics on the other thread - can't get better images due to this "sizing" nonsense.