RAF Log Book Entries.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

RAF Log Book Entries.

#1 Post by Jenks »

Started to chuck stuff away prior to our move Came across a box in the attic containing my Dads old Log books. Definite keepers.

First entry dated 20th June 1941 type... D.H.82.A

Last entry dated 15th December 1977 type Chipmunk.

Total hours flown 11738.1

Couple of interesting entries in 1944

His navigator was killed 30th October in the ME.110 attack.

From his jottings..
The result was a posting on to Halifax heavy bombers, but after just 8 operations I lost my Navigator and rather than going back to O.T.U. to train with another crew I volunteered for transport command and a Far East posting. After being crewed up and training on Dakota aircraft the Wing Commander sent for me and talked me into another tour instructing as they were short of Instructors.

Jenks
Chuck

Re: RAF Log Book Entries.

#2 Post by Chuck »

Fascinating Jenks -and amazing how that simple wee entry "Attacked by ME110" has so much behind it.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jenks

#3 Post by Jenks »

Chuck..

A less fatal encounter with a german aircraft. Once again from fathers jottings:
I recall an occasion when breaking cloud **flying the Beam** to Castle-Donnington airfield (now East Midlands Airport), I was surprised to see a German J.U. 88 just a few yards on my port beam - he no doubt was also surprised. We both waved to each other before peeling off.

I never did ask him what he would have done had his aircraft been armed.

**flying the Beam** http://timeandnavigation.si.edu/multime ... g-the-beam

Jenks
Jenks

#4 Post by Jenks »

Another Beam Flying anecdote:

This story concerns a stupid action on my part which on looking back could have meant the end of my flying career.
In 1943 I was a flying instructor in a Beam Approach Training flight** which involved doing approximately 75 hours instruction a month, plus many hours as a Link Trainer Instructor. Any pilot who has performed this would agree how arduous this can be, particularly during the winter, having to cope with fog/low cloud base/air frame/king etc. In my 12 months in the unit we were never grounded by the weather. Having to sit by the side of the student could be very boring and extremely frustrating as it required very quick reactions to the audible signals received - the beam being extremely narrow (one to two degrees wide). The only handling of the aircraft by the instructor was joining the circuit and landing.

On one occasion three of us (instructors) on the detail agreed that we would meet up and formate in a VIC formation over a large reservoir** a few miles south of the airfield and return to base for a stream landing. I was leading the formation and while circling I noticed a lone fisherman in a boat and decided to do a “beat up”.

After landing while walking back to the crew room the other two instructors with a serious look said they thought I had “clobbered” the chap in the boat with my tail wheel as I pulled up. I was a little concerned but didn’t think it possible as I reckoned that I was at least 20 feet above him.

Imagine how I felt when after signing in, the Chief Clerk came into the crew room and said the C.O. wanted to see me in his office and there was a Policeman with him. I felt really awful until my boss said the “bobby” here has a summons for you for riding your bike without lights. I had forgotten the incident which occurred weeks ago. My two comrades admitted “having me on”.

“What a relief!” - just a 10/- fine - and my girlfriend (now my wife) a similar fine.

We did however have a pleasant afternoon in the cinema after the court hearing. I think the Magistrates and Court Officials were amused by the evidence being given by the old grey haired copper, who read out from his note book, “When I approached the accused he said “Oh no, not a bloody special”.

** RAF Wymeswold Leicestershire.**

** Swithland Reservoir** (I think)**
Jenks
Jenks

#5 Post by Jenks »

Jenks wrote:Chuck..

A less fatal encounter with a german aircraft. Once again from fathers jottings:
I recall an occasion when breaking cloud **flying the Beam** to Castle-Donnington airfield (now East Midlands Airport), I was surprised to see a German J.U. 88 just a few yards on my port beam - he no doubt was also surprised. We both waved to each other before peeling off.

I never did ask him what he would have done had his aircraft been armed.

**flying the Beam** http://timeandnavigation.si.edu/multime ... g-the-beam

Jenks

I am in the throes of shredding as much of the paper I have accumulated over the twenty five years I have lived in this house and I have just come across the original account of the above tale. It reads:
I don't know if I was acting in a treacherous/ treasonous manner: in 1943 I was a Beam Approach instructor and flying the beam to Castle Donnington (now East Midlands Airport) we were in cloud most of the time but near to the airfield flew into a gap and looking out, a few feet abeam in close formation was a German Ju88. I was amazed and no doubt so was the German pilot; we stared at each other and before peeling off both waved to each other. To confirm that I was not imagining what had occurred, I said to my student "Did you see that?" He concurred.I called Air Traffic who later informed me that the Observer Corps had no trace. I can only think that the Germans were fitting I.F.F. (Identification friend or Foe) to their aircraft. He obviously carried guns- I would like to thank him for not shooting me down.
I thought the first version I posted sounded just a little thin.

Jenks
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

No Jenks not at all. People were very stoic back then...unlike today.

Good to see there was still some chivalry - not going to happen in todays long range air to air missile combat.

Fascinating stuff Jenks, thanks for posting it.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jenks

#7 Post by Jenks »

Chuck..

Amongst my Dads jottings I have Just discovered a hand written account of an incredible chap By the name of 'Dixie Deans' who came from Glasgow. I will will get it typed up and posted. This is the chap:

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafexpow/rafexpow_dixie.html

Jenks
Jenks

#8 Post by Jenks »

Chuck wrote:No Jenks not at all. People were very stoic back then...unlike today.

Good to see there was still some chivalry - not going to happen in todays long range air to air missile combat.

Fascinating stuff Jenks, thanks for posting it.

Chuck...

Good to see there was still some chivalry
Regarding chivalry, I don't think my Dads comment below would be considered chivalrous: ;)
I can’t understand why the Luftwaffe pilots during the Battle of Britain didn’t shoot at our pilots who were descending by “chute”. I would think they were a legitimate target considering they would be airborne and in action the following day.

Jenks
Jenks

#9 Post by Jenks »

My Dads Dixie Deans story copied from his hand written account.

Dixie Deans.

During my 15 year period as a civilian flying instructor at The Army Air Corp training base at Middle wallop many interesting stories were swapped, one in particular was brought to mind recently whilst reading the May 1995 edition of Readers Digest.

I heard the story from a guy named Les Foster who baled out of a Lancaster during an operation over a German target. He was a POW in a Stalag some fifty miles north of Hanover.

Dixie Deans was a legend, A warrant officer pilot since being shot down over Berlin in 1940. He was the senior warrant officer and had learnt how to gain privileges for himself and fellow inmates. He had also learnt much about dealing with prison commandants.

“You give them hell all the time.”

But between Deans and Colonel Ostman , commandant of his last POW camp there had developed a grudging and wary respect. Deans regarded Ostman – a middle aged WW1 officer whose paralysed arm disqualified him from active service,as a fair minded warden doing a job he disliked . For his Part Ostman knew that the slim 29year old Deans had the unswerving loyalty of the prisoners, and had been elected their spokesman. Thus on April 8th 1945 when Ostman had received orders to evacuate Stalag 357 he had immediately summoned Deans to prepare the men for the march. He had told Deans that they had no clear destination but that they would march north west. “ I’ll get instructions along the way” he said.

12000 British POWs marching behind two Scottish pipers, in columns under a light German guard. The prisoners uniforms were in tatters; they were emaciated, cold and hungry, but their heads were high RAF Warrant Officer Deans had seen to that. “When you pass through villages” Deans told the men “Spruce up even if it hurts, and lets show these bloody supermen who won the war!” On an ancient bicycle that threatened to fall apart at any moment ‘Dixie’ rode continuously from column to column watching over his men. There were 2000 men to a column and although Deans tried to cover the entire area, it was an exhausting job. The POWs were heading for the town of Gresse where trucks with Red Cross food parcels were said to await them. As Deans leading column neared a new village the Pipers prepared to begin playing again, and the tired men in the ranks squared their shoulders. “At least” said fellow RAF warrant officer Roy Mogg , stepping out smartly along side Deans “Were impressing the natives no end.” At Grebe, north of the Elbe, approx 40 miles S/east of Hamburg Red Cross parcels had arrived for the 12000 POWs. As the half starved prisoners sat there eating, nine RAF Typhoon fighters circled overhead, and then dived. Someone shouted “ My God they are coming for us!” As men scattered wildly in all directions, some tried to put out identifying cloth strips which they carried for just such an emergency. One after another the Typhoons swooped in, firing rockets and dropping bombs. Men yelled “Were your mates” Eight planes made individual attacks, the ninth, pulled up perhaps realising the mistake. It was all over in minutes, sixty POWs were dead. A score or more were injured and some were to die in German hospitals. Deans was sick with despair as he saw the carnage After the dead had been buried and the wounded moved into hospitals, he cycled to Colonel Ostman’s temporary Head quarters . “Ostman” he said “ I want you to write me out a pass that will carry me through to the British lines.” Ostman looked at Deans with amazement “Mr Deans” he said “I can’t do that.” “We don’t know who is going to overrun our group,” Deans warned.. “It could be the the Russians or the British which do you want to surrender to? Some how I don’t think you would have much of a future with the Russians.” On Wehrmacht paper Ostman wrote out a note “I don’t know how you’ll get through the front lines” he told Deans “But at least this will get you up to them.”Deans said “ I would like to take the guard Charlie Baumbach with me.” Ostman thought for a minute, and said “AGREED.” As he left Deans made one last remark. “ I will be back with Charlie to bring my men out, I promise you that.”

One morning after days of cycling with Baumbach, Deans awoke with a jolt, there was a Tommy-gun sticking in his ribs. A voice said “OK chum, on your feet!” Dixie looked up into the face of a Sixth Div Airborne Paratrooper. Overjoyed Deans explained who he was. He and Charlie were taken to Lt General Evelyn Barker, Eighth Corps Commander. “ There are 12000 RAF POWs marching towards our lines” Deans said urgently. “Our planes are shooting them up!” He showed Gen Barker where he had left the men. The General reached hastily for the phone ,and cancelled another air strike scheduled for the same area. “Everything will be alright now” he said, “ You had better get some rest.” “No sir “ Deans said “I promised Colonel Ostman I would return.” Barker looked at him in amazement. “Isn’t that a bit silly?” he asked. “After all, we shall be there in a matter of hours.” Deans was insistent, “ Well said the general I’ll give you a Red Cross car with a red flag, that might get you through.”

Two days later, Dixie Deans marched his men into British lines, his Pipers leading the way. When Colonel Ostman and his guard were taken into custody, Deans and some of his men marched with them to the compound. The two groups faced each other and came to attention. Ostman stepped forward and he and Deans saluted. “ Goodbye Colonel Ostman” said Deans” “Goodbye Mr Deans” replied Ostman. “I hope we meet again.”

Many years later I recall a TV programme which mentioned this event. It could have been on ‘This is your life’ or a somewhat similar programme. I seem to remember that ‘Dixie was a semi invalid suffering from a muscular disease..
Quite a character, and obviously a born leader of men.

Jenks
Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

Shooting at pilots on chutes was still considered heinous as many pilots saw the target as the plane not the pilot.

Also the same argument as to how POW's in Luftwaffe camps were better treated than those in other camps: because they did not want their pilots getting the same treatment. If they started shooting at bailed out pilots it would be returned to them in no time: sometimes even in war a wee bit of common sense and discretion is the better valour.

I believe the Japanese had different thoughts, such was their view of anyone surrendering - or I assume - bailing out.