German Flak Tower - different views

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Dangermouse

German Flak Tower - different views

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I have long been intrigued by the German Flak Towers that were built for the second world war. I have never really gone out of my way to research them but have only ever seen snippets about them. There never seems to be any great detail.
I understand that once Berlin was taken, even with no resistance, these towers proved all but indestructible.
I can understand the German people not wishing for them to stay after the war but it is a shame one was not left standing, as it was. I would certainly pay to have a tour around one.

Anyway, I came across this video by accident which gives some views I have never seen before - If you can ignore the Quad-copter crashing story. I hope you enjoy and would be interested if you posted other information regards the towers,

DM

Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: German Flak Tower - different views

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

There are a great many flak towers still standing in Germany and Austria, Hamburg and Vienna have some very large ones.Because they were so hard to demolish a lot of them had their facades altered so as not to resemble flak towers.One houses a tropical aquarium complex now.Below is a pic of a flak tower in Berlin, very close to the railway station.
7815080318155520.jpg
7815080318155520.jpg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Zoo Flak tower.jpg
This is a large flak tower in Hamburg
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Do you know if any are open as museums?

That one in Hamburg is massive!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
snayperskaya

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

Dangermouse wrote:Do you know if any are open as museums?

That one in Hamburg is massive!

DM

Not sure if any are museum's, a Google search may be your best bet

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Very interesting, I was not really aware of the FPV systems and I can see just how useful they could be on occasions. Imagine an aerial view of your range or even the local woods, I am sure they could reveal many things such as parch marks and old land marks, plus the occasional nekid lady tongueout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
DOGGER2UK

#7 Post by DOGGER2UK »

http://theelephantgate.weebly.com/the-w ... e-zoo.html

More pictures of flack towers. Scroll past the flack tower pics to a photograph of a flying fortress losing part of its tail plane to bombs from aircraft above; I wonder if they made it home.
It ain't me.
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#8 Post by froggy »

Salut ,

I also like German concret and FlakTurn must probably be the most fascinating & exciting places of all :good:
Only few survived intact im Deutschland as the post-war program of German demilitarisation called for their destruction. As far I know, most of the ones in Vienna were left intact as well as couple of them in Hamburg. The Berlin's towers were all destroyed at some degree . The one pictured on your photo has actually been partially blown up and then buried in a mountain of rubbles cleared by the Berlin women from the citi's destruction.
You can visit it . http://berliner-unterwelten.de/web-page ... 168.1.html
Berlin-Unterwelten is an absolute must for anybody into subterranean structures.

Berlin and the greater Berlin is an absolute gold mine . In addition to the flakturn, you can also see a couple of air-shelters in Berlin, very similar to FlakTurn but under the control of the Luftschutz so obviously not military structure but very exciting nevertheless. One of them was a great indie club in the early 90's but unfortunatly has now been converted in an art gallerie.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
snayperskaya

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

DOGGER2UK wrote:http://theelephantgate.weebly.com/the-w ... e-zoo.html

More pictures of flack towers. Scroll past the flack tower pics to a photograph of a flying fortress losing part of its tail plane to bombs from aircraft above; I wonder if they made it home.
Unlikely unfortunately

Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

Awesome photos. Was that not the B17 that got hit by bombs from the plane above? It went down big time.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!