Special Pattern No1 officers spurs

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Special Pattern No1 officers spurs

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

My Mother recently gave these to me, a pair of SP1 Cavalry Officers spurs cast in Solid Nickel. My Grandfather brought them home with him at the end of the first war, he was in the Royal Engineers in France and Belgium from the start of 1915 to 1919 and came home once, his role was a Mule Driver mostly with the Canadian regiments and at one stage he was asked to chop the point bits off a set of spurs by an officer, he went on to look after the horse (He used to call it "My Billy") from time to time and at the end of the war the officer gave Granddad his spurs.

Granddad went on to serve in the Home Guard in the Second War and Mother used to buy him an Engineers Tie and Scarf every year which he would wear daily and invariably wear them out just in time for a new one, the RE scarf is very close to the Guards and he used to smile when people stopped him and asked him if he was a Guards man. He would always point out he was actually Royal Engineers with immense pride.
Spurs.JPG
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: Special Pattern No1 officers spurs

#2 Post by Les »

That's a great story. You must be very proud of your granddad, and to have his spurs as a memento must be wonderful. :good:
Ovenpaa

Re: Special Pattern No1 officers spurs

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have his badge belt as well which is a German belt with buckle and silver inlay that says Gott Mit Uns, apparently it had a purple tassel however that is long since gone. The belt is decorated with cap badges from the various regiments he came across during his 4 years and although rather tatty these days still has great meaning to me. Sadly some thieving bastid stole his medals and the majority of his bits and bobs back in the 70s including some cigarette cases by POWs from aluminium sheet with knicker elastic inside to hold the cigarettes in place. He also had a lot of German notes and coins which also went.

Yes very proud of him. He was not a man of many words however he meant a lot to me and I will never forget him. I have a list of all of the places he visited whilst overseas and I have always wanted to visit them again although some I have never been able to find however it could be down to his spelling or the common name applied to the location during the war.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal