Jenks old Photos.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Re: Jenks old Photos.

#11 Post by Jenks »

From the same Middle Wallop display..

Jenks
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

I watched one come over Cranfield, probably in the mid 70's - it drowned out everything as it came past and the memory brings me out in goose bumps....

They have cut the hedges at Cranfield now so if anyone wants to see the Lightening it is in plain view now at the road end of the runway.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#13 Post by Jenks »

Becalmed on the Sargasso sea, one of the most enduring memories of my life. There were five of us on a 44' Swan. we sat for several hours in total silence shortlly after the last picture in the sequence was taken we opened some wine and played Beethovens ninth Symphony very loudly.

Happy,Happy, Days.

Jenks
Jenks

#14 Post by Jenks »

Looking for Bermuda...

Land Ahoy, time for a bath..

By the way Dave the watch didn't leak... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jenks
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had a feeling it might not leak as well.......

They are great pictures, it makes me wonder what I have in the photograph albums.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#16 Post by Jenks »

ovenpaa wrote:I had a feeling it might not leak as well.......

They are great pictures, it makes me wonder what I have in the photograph albums.

They are great pictures, it makes me wonder what I have in the photograph albums.[/

Look them out and get some posted. :)

Jenks
Jenks

#17 Post by Jenks »

Wallis Auto-gyro with the Inventor/designer at the controls. A truly amazing Briton.

Jenks
Jenks

#18 Post by Jenks »

ovenpaa wrote:I watched one come over Cranfield, probably in the mid 70's - it drowned out everything as it came past and the memory brings me out in goose bumps....

They have cut the hedges at Cranfield now so if anyone wants to see the Lightening it is in plain view now at the road end of the runway.

The Olympus (Concorde) engine was tested on the Vulcan. I recall being out walking the family dog, a highly strung Collie cross. We were on Wind Mill hill between Ludgershall and Tidworth when I spotted the Vulcan approaching. It got to almost directly overhead when they lit the Olympus engine. The air was filled with an almost electrical crackling noise followed by the roar of the Olympus. Truly thrilling moment. The bloody dog disappeared I found her two hours later quivering under my bed.
In June 1966 a complete Olympus 593 engine and variable geometry exhaust assembly was first run at Melun-Villaroche, France. On the British side, flight tests began at Filton, Bristol, using an RAF Vulcan bomber with the engine attached to its underside. Tests were limited to a speed of Mach 0.98 as the Avro Vulcan was not intended as a supersonic design. The Vulcan had been chosen as the testbed as it had sufficient ground clearance to allow the Olympus to be slung underneath. During these tests the Olympus 593 achieved 35,190 lb’s thrust.

Jenks
Jenks

#19 Post by Jenks »

Sweaty men in little ships...anchored of Jost Van Dyke.

Jenks 'Cousteau' In the Western Approaches.

Begining to feel a little sad, now that my great adventure was nearly over.

Jenks
Chuck

#20 Post by Chuck »

Great photos Jenks, what an interesting life...so sad you ended up here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only kidding mate, seriously, well done to you for having all that to look back on....
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!