Dornier 17 found off the Kent Coast

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Dornier 17 found off the Kent Coast

#1 Post by 20series »

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Dornier 17 found off the Kent Coast

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Very interesting, I will watch the ongoing story with interest.

James (Son) was telling me he was heading up the M11 near Duxford earlier this week in very light traffic and an ME109 flew over directly in front of him, climbed and banked into the distance, he slowed down to watch it and it came back from about a mile or so towards him, he said at that point he realised it was tracking him as he drove and eventually screamed over head and into the distance.

He said it made his hair prickle to suddenly realise he was being 'straffed' and he ended up with goose bumps. Apparently an amazing and quite sobering sight to see an ME109 track him to the very end before eventually flying past at a couple of hundred feet, he could hear the engine over his car.

A once in a lifetime for him, sounds like someone was having fun as well.

Downside was he hit a pheasant a bit later and trashed his grill :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#3 Post by Jenks »

ovenpaa wrote:Very interesting, I will watch the ongoing story with interest.

James (Son) was telling me he was heading up the M11 near Duxford earlier this week in very light traffic and an ME109 flew over directly in front of him, climbed and banked into the distance, he slowed down to watch it and it came back from about a mile or so towards him, he said at that point he realised it was tracking him as he drove and eventually screamed over head and into the distance.

He said it made his hair prickle to suddenly realise he was being 'straffed' and he ended up with goose bumps. Apparently an amazing and quite sobering sight to see an ME109 track him to the very end before eventually flying past at a couple of hundred feet, he could hear the engine over his car.

A once in a lifetime for him, sounds like someone was having fun as well.

Downside was he hit a pheasant a bit later and trashed his grill :(

My Dad told me of a fellow flying instructor, A Czech who during the war flew Spitfires in the RAF. His flight were flying over northern France looking for targets of opportunities. He spotted a German dispatch rider and thought he would have some fun so he flew down and made a strafing run over the rider. He had no intention of shooting the fellow. to his amazement it appeared that the rider was attempting to race away from his Spit. He made a second pass this time even lower and from the front. It was then that the German made a fatal mistake..... He shook his fist at Joe. A stupid gesture that cost him his life. At another gathering of ex flying instructors my dad spotted an old colleague he hadn't seen for years. They were all elderly and were wearing medals or medal ribbons. After saying hello my dad spotted a medal ribbon that he didn't instantly recognise so he ask the chap what it was. The old chap replied.... ''Come on Jenks, are you pulling my leg.'' It was the ribbon for the Victoria Cross. My dad admitted to felling rather embarrassed.

Jenks
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by bobbob »

We were at a local military show last year when a Messerschmitt 108 did a display.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

In the late 70's early 80's I used to travel up and down the A74 (M74) from Lockerbie to Glasgow. It was not unusual to have F4 Phantoms etc using the cars as "targets"....
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Last time I was in the Lakes that happened to me...you know, going down a hill to find a feckin jet climbing up on my road horizon ... coming right at me...pilot must have p1ssed himself laughing...I nearly shat myself!

:lol:
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

My dad always sworn that the A10's used his tractor for target practice when he was trundling up and down the fens,

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

When I worked at Stewartby on Sundays the A10's used to get so low it looked like they were weaving through the chimneys. I was out one sunny Sunday afternoon (Double time) Sitting slightly lower than a conveyor belt enjoying the weather when two A10's just feet apart came from behind, over my head and then dropped down in to the pit so I could look down on them, skimmed the bottom and then climbed out the other side. I remember they were incredibly quiet and I had no idea they were coming until they were overhead.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
R.G.C

#9 Post by R.G.C »

Chuck wrote:In the late 70's early 80's I used to travel up and down the A74 (M74) from Lockerbie to Glasgow. It was not unusual to have F4 Phantoms etc using the cars as "targets"....
This happened to us in 1998 in the Death Valley. Our car was the only one visible on the road for miles. We stopped for a pee when two F15 (I think) took us as a target. As I had the scene in rreal life in 1943 with that time spitfires, the simulacre did not impressed (nor it stopped the friend's pee!!), and the pilots were saluted with a real french 'Bras d'Honneur', which they seemed to enjoy, as they did 2 more passages..for the same reward each time!!!!
R.G.C
Vagabond

#10 Post by Vagabond »

"James (Son) was telling me he was heading up the M11 near Duxford earlier this week in very light traffic and an ME109 flew over directly in front of him, climbed and banked into the distance, he slowed down to watch it and it came back from about a mile or so towards him, he said at that point he realised it was tracking him as he drove and eventually screamed over head and into the distance."

Ovenpaa,
Almost certainly the Me 109 was the one recently restored by John Romain. Of Spanish origin. Air frame purchased from Nazi Germany just after the Spanish civil war.WW2 was about to begin and Germany needed all Me 109 parts so refused to supply engines to these 109s. Spaniard fitted a crap engine and it was found to be useless. Cut a long story short 6 or 7 of these air craft were obtained for the B of B film. After it was made several of these 109 were more-or-less taken by the senior pilot in lieu of wages back to the US. Incedently at some stage the R R Merlin 2 or 3 had been fitted. Anyway John Romain at Duxford has acquired on of these Bouchon Me 109s and restored it to flight condition. Sadly in my view it doesn't have the same engine noise as the original Mercades B engine of the original 109. It sounds like a Spitfire or Hurry

Vagabond