L'Anneau de la Mémoire.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

L'Anneau de la Mémoire.

#1 Post by Jenks »

A friend sent me this link: http://www.centenarynews.com/article?id=3073 I hadn't heard of L'Anneau de la Mémoire. We have visited Notre-Dame-de Lorette we did so a few years ago on the 11 November, a very moving experience. I have already planned to visit Ypres in September and maybe Mons and Waterloo also in September. Perhaps next year we will visit Notre-Dame-de Lorette on the way down to the Somme. I have just read Siegfried Sassoon's Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man and the Memoirs of an Infantry Officer and I'm keen to visit Mametz Wood, somewhere else We haven't yet visited.

Jenks
Chuck

Re: L'Anneau de la Mémoire.

#2 Post by Chuck »

Hi Jenks,

it's good to know that the fallen are still being remembered with new memorials....God forbid we lose sight of what happened and why. :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
25Pdr
Past Supporter

Re: L'Anneau de la Mémoire.

#3 Post by 25Pdr »

Chuck wrote:Hi Jenks,

it's good to know that the fallen are still being remembered with new memorials....God forbid we lose sight of what happened and why. :good:
Here's a French War Memorial in my hometown of Greenock...

The Free French
"They fought along with our soldiers and sailors." Greenock was the Free French Navy's largest home port. At one time there were over 1500 French sailors in the town. They had their base near Fort Matilda and their social club in the halls of Martyr's and North Church, from which Charles de Gaulle broadcast during his visit in 1941. The British gave the French 6 corvettes. During the Battle of the Atlantic the French lost two corvettes, two destroyers and one submarine, all had been based in Greenock. They also lost the Maillé Brézé in an accident at the Tail o' The Bank.