Merlin Engine on sea bed

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

Re: Merlin Engine on sea bed

#21 Post by Maggot »

1066 wrote:That's interesting - pity we can't see more. So what have we got? Pairs of pushrods sticking up? Are those air/exhaust holes? Is it a cylinder block with the head removed? Is that a hint of a supercharger at the back? Is it a 1960's Ford Zodiac?

The Merlin was use in loads of stuff, Mosquitoes, Halifax, Wellingtons, etc. around forty types in all and also the Packard copy used in the MTB's.
Used a derivative on the Centurion MBT and Centarv IIRC...Meteor?
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by 1066 »

Maggot wrote:
1066 wrote:That's interesting - pity we can't see more. So what have we got? Pairs of pushrods sticking up? Are those air/exhaust holes? Is it a cylinder block with the head removed? Is that a hint of a supercharger at the back? Is it a 1960's Ford Zodiac?

The Merlin was use in loads of stuff, Mosquitoes, Halifax, Wellingtons, etc. around forty types in all and also the Packard copy used in the MTB's.
Ahh yes, forgot all about the tank engines - The Meteor was indeed based on the Merlin although chopped and changed a bit.

I heard, many years ago when I was working for Shell, that when they were opening up the oilfields in Alaska they used Ex Canadian air force Merlins to run the generators. Apparently they were so cheap and available they just ran them till they dropped then fitted a new one.

(I also remember seeing crated Ex RAF Tiger Moths being sold in Exchange and Mart for £600. :))
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Maggot

#23 Post by Maggot »

1066 wrote:
Maggot wrote:

Ahh yes, forgot all about the tank engines - The Meteor was indeed based on the Merlin although chopped and changed a bit.

I heard, many years ago when I was working for Shell, that when they were opening up the oilfields in Alaska they used Ex Canadian air force Merlins to run the generators. Apparently they were so cheap and available they just ran them till they dropped then fitted a new one.

(I also remember seeing crated Ex RAF Tiger Moths being sold in Exchange and Mart for £600. :))
The flat Lycoming on the Soux /Bell 47G was allegedly designed for pumping water but was too damned noisy.

I still love to hear one, they were "the" archetypal helicopter of the day. The Blue Eagles used to visit occasionally....History now
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by 1066 »

Maggot wrote:
The flat Lycoming on the Soux /Bell 47G was allegedly designed for pumping water but was too damned noisy.

I still love to hear one, they were "the" archetypal helicopter of the day. The Blue Eagles used to visit occasionally....History now
:) Who remembers the Whirlybirds ?. I had the flat Lycoming engine on my Piper PA-28, although only the four cylinder.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by GeeRam »

1066 wrote:also the Packard copy used in the MTB's.
MTB's used the superb Packard V12 4M-2500 marine engine, which was a unique pre-WW2 Packard designed marine engine, and other than being a V12 bore no relation to the Merlin engine whatsoever.
GeeRam

#26 Post by GeeRam »

Gazoo wrote:It could have been from a Lancaster, spitfire or more likely a Hurricane. I googled and even the Mustangs used them made by packard in the US. There is a bit of prop sticking out of the sand.
Off Norfolk coast, I'd say odds on it will be ex-RAF (most likely bomber force in that location, so Lanc or Halifax, but Mosquito is also a possibility in that area) or an ex-USAAC P-51.
Maggot

#27 Post by Maggot »

1066 wrote:
Maggot wrote:

:) Who remembers the Whirlybirds ?. I had the flat Lycoming engine on my Piper PA-28, although only the four cylinder.
Yea, just about, and skippy!!

You know I cant even remember if it was a flat 4 or 6...pretty sure it was a 6, with the G4 having a turbo charger. The bloody things could barely hover with a crew of 2 in the heat!!

Its sad but inevitable when you look back and see what's gone.

I was trying out a powerpoint on the cadets on monday about the history of the Kings Royal Hussars. It struck me that even in my lifetime the forces has been decimated. I suppose that is a good thing, but it shook me when I looked at the number of regiments I was aware of when I was serving that have amalgamated or disbanded.

Same with aircraft, I had no idea the Sea kings had gone totally, I thought it was just the HAR2s with the RAF

Sorry, this has sod all to do with the thread, juts meandering as usual :squirrel:
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#28 Post by TomH »

GeeRam wrote:
MTB's used the superb Packard V12 4M-2500 marine engine, which was a unique pre-WW2 Packard designed marine engine, and other than being a V12 bore no relation to the Merlin engine whatsoever.
Superb, but unfortunately petrol. I've always wondered why we and the Americans lagged so far behind the Germans in diesel engine design and adoption. A failure that must have led to many deaths in tanks and MTB's due to the combustability of petrol.
Chuck

#29 Post by Chuck »

For those who are asking "what was the Whirlybirds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgPC5RkYFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38QE7Sp53mY

Skippy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_agtNKbgSfI

And for the current / ex para members: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCAvHmPSo4

OK Back on topic, thank you. (Still can't believe I watched that stuff.....)
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
GeeRam

#30 Post by GeeRam »

TomH wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Superb, but unfortunately petrol. I've always wondered why we and the Americans lagged so far behind the Germans in diesel engine design and adoption. A failure that must have led to many deaths in tanks and MTB's due to the combustability of petrol.
We had no real need for it pre-war, and petrol was king in the USA, so diesel market there must have been tiny so fuel companies were not even bothering I suspect. The Germans spotted the need because it was convinced about the effectiveness of their U-Boats, and thus diesel engines were perfect for that.....as well as having no oil reserves, I guess, diesel gave another advantage.

And yes, RN 'Dog Boat' crews were well aware of the risks of sailing around in a wooden boat containing a 5000 gal AVGAS tank!! I have that first hand as one of my Uncles was regular RN, joining pre-war, and serving through WW2 in the Med on the Dog Boats as a gunner on the Oerlikon....so I grew up through childhood on tales of those Packards etc., roaring him around the Med.