House move and whats in the loft

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Dave 101

House move and whats in the loft

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi all

I have been in my house now since May 2010 , the previous owner had bought it new in 1965 and lived there till his death . When I moved in there was a lot of rubbish left behind plus some items of use including a milbro air rifle scope in mint condition .
There was lots of junk left in the loft which was all on pine boards . After clearing all the junk I took a look at the boards because of what they were . Transit cases from the RAF circa 1960s , they had been put there when he moved in as the fibre glass insulation below was spotless except for the dust which had fallen betetween the boards .
The boards were crudely fixed together to form panels , painted with his name details and rank . There were about 15 or so panels . I took a photo of them and contacted the Imperial War museum at Duxford to see if they could make use of them , this was about 10 weeks ago but I never got a reply . So last week I contacted North Weald Museum and they said they would have them .

Heres a photo of a couple of the panels which I emailed to the museums .

So last Thursday pm I delivered them , had a good chat with a guy called Simon who is one of the trustees of the museum and hes a shooting man . He has just emailed me some photos of the transit cases assembled which is something I didnt expect to see .

Well a little bit of history saved ,
the guy whos name is on the transit cases went on to work at Marconis in Chelmsford , from what the neighbours have told me he was a bit of a boffin .

Dave
Last edited by Dave 101 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: House move and whats in the loft

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well done Dave, nice to see they went to a good home and will be enjoyed by future generations. These days people would be more inclined to eBlag them or burn them..
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by bobbob »

What a great story. It's things like that I look at when we visit museums. Bnz drools over the weapons while I look at the human side.

I had a relative who worked at Marconi in Chelmsford. I believe he had something to do with inventing the distress beacons that go on boats.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

I NEVER drool :roll: Glad you found a home for the cases.