Lancaster rebuild

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Lancaster rebuild

#21 Post by falco67 »

I thought the re- filming had failed because of the name of Gibson's dog not being politically correct these days? aaarggh

Or is that press talk?
Ralph
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Ralph »

falco67 wrote:I thought the re- filming had failed because of the name of Gibson's dog not being politically correct these days? aaarggh

Or is that press talk?
By all accounts they are still working on the dog's name.
Ralph NW UK
Interested in muzzle loading and anything that makes a loud noise and goes fast.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#23 Post by bradaz11 »

Ralph wrote:The Chinese are building 10 full scale replicas of Lancaster's for
a new film of the Dambusters to be filmed in New Zealand they
look the part.

http://www.stormclimb.com/wp-content/up ... remake.jpg
I bet they don't sound it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#24 Post by 20series »

bradaz11 wrote:
Ralph wrote:The Chinese are building 10 full scale replicas of Lancaster's for
a new film of the Dambusters to be filmed in New Zealand they
look the part.

http://www.stormclimb.com/wp-content/up ... remake.jpg
I bet they don't sound it
Yep, the only thing better than the sound of a Merlin is the sound of four......
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:Alan, the hangers were painted for the film and you can still see them as they were. There are also many anecdotes from the film period including how they used to drive to the local garage and fill galvanised dustbins on the back of a pick-up with petrol for use with the pyrotechnics.
A guy I used to know well back in 90's (not seen him for years though now) used to work for Bapty's and was one of the armourers during the filming of Memphis Belle, and he chalked up quite a few hours flying in the B-17's and operating the live 50 cals that Bapty's fitted for the filming (lucky barsteward :twisted: )
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#26 Post by GeeRam »

Ralph wrote:Is this the Lancaster that was at Blackpool many years back?
Yes it is.
Chuck

#27 Post by Chuck »

falco67 wrote:
I thought the re- filming had failed because of the name of Gibson's dog not being politically correct these days? aaarggh

Or is that press talk?

I thought they had called it Trigger..after Roy Rodgers Horse! Bloody silly PC stupidity, it is what is is... a historical FACT!
The Chinese are building 10 full scale replicas of Lancaster's for a new film of the Dambusters to be filmed in New Zealand they
look the part.

We should all chip in, go Crowdfunding and buy one :D :D lol lol
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#28 Post by bradaz11 »

Chuck wrote:
falco67 wrote:

Or is that press talk?

I thought they had called it Trigger..after Roy Rodgers Horse! Bloody silly PC stupidity, it is what is is... a historical FACT!
The Chinese are building 10 full scale replicas of Lancaster's for a new film of the Dambusters to be filmed in New Zealand they
look the part.

We should all chip in, go Crowdfunding and buy one :D :D lol lol
Saw a quote saying fry said he was calling it digger
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#29 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Boring factoids.

The Lancasters and Beaufighters built at Longbridge were trucked to Elmdon Airport, now BHX, to be erected and test flown. The Spitfires and Hurricanes were sent up a lift to the runway that is now the Chinese MG factory and flown off.

When I was in the Air Cadets I helped change the upper engine of a Lightening at Coltishall, we then took it to the test stand and ran up the engines to reheat one at a time. Standing 25 yards away I could feel my bones rattle.

When taking about the "sound of the Merlin" you have to be aware that 90% of the sound comes from the propellers, the Merlin itself is the quiet wet farty sound in the background.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

Egg on Leggs1 wrote:Boring factoids.

The Lancasters and Beaufighters built at Longbridge were trucked to Elmdon Airport, now BHX, to be erected and test flown. The Spitfires and Hurricanes were sent up a lift to the runway that is now the Chinese MG factory and flown off.

When I was in the Air Cadets I helped change the upper engine of a Lightening at Coltishall, we then took it to the test stand and ran up the engines to reheat one at a time. Standing 25 yards away I could feel my bones rattle.

When taking about the "sound of the Merlin" you have to be aware that 90% of the sound comes from the propellers, the Merlin itself is the quiet wet farty sound in the background.
I've heard a few Merlin engines running without a prop , and a few Meteor engines and certainly wouldn't describe them as "a quiet wet farty sound", a 27ltr V-12 with stub manifolds is never going to be quiet!.

When I worked at the old Rolls Royce plant in Shrewsbury there was a couple of Merlin engines still in one of the old sheds that had been converted into standby gensets.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!