Dunkirk Photos

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Dunkirk Photos

#1 Post by Chuck »

Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Rockhopper

Re: Dunkirk Photos

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

29,000 Bren guns were left behind as well.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#3 Post by froggy »

I went to see the film on Saturday . It's brilliant but does not really convey the mess it must have been ...
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Found the film a tad underwhelming, it just seemed a bit "clean" and sanitised from the "mess", as froggy says, and horror it must have been for all involved.

Think I prefer the beeb documentary drama from 2004.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Having spent many a year in my younger days doing WW2 Living History events and being a volunteer helper with various veterans associations, including the Dunkirk Veterans Association (my late godfather was a Dunkirk vet), I could spend hours picking holes in this film.......

However, that's missing the point, as its 'entertainment' not a documentary.

But I'd rather watch the 'original' Dunkirk with John Mills any day of the week, cheap dodgy special effects and all cheers
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#6 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

I'm going to see the movie on Saturday in full fat 4DX simulation.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

My grand father and great uncle were both evacuated from Dunkirk. They then went on to serve till the war's end, as did their three other brothers. Great uncle Chris had served in WW1 and rejoined after Dunkirk...!!

All five survived. None spoke of it so history lost. My uncle who was eight at the time said the only thing "Army" that grand dad came home with after Dunkirk, was his underwear and his rifle. I'd love to find that gun!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The debris left behind and the soldiers who failed to get away including the 40k+ French who stopped back to defend the beaches from the German onslaught. I wonder what happened to them... Lest we forget.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#9 Post by Duey »

'Lest we forget' indeed !
Just had a very good day at East Kirby Airshow, lots of displays of recovered parts of aircraft from all around Lincolnshire WW2 airfields, with the histories and circumstances of the crashes and the aircrew involved
The last flying display was by a Rockwell OV-10 Bronco that was covered in Poppies and emblasened across the top of its wings was the immortal words ' LEST WE FORGET '

I know it's not in line with the OP but another place that keeps the memories alive, for now at least

Duey
Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

Very little stays with the OP on here lol . Sounds like a good day was had. :good:

The heroes are dwindling away - let's hope that as many of their stories as possibe have been recorded for posterity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -died.html
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!