Scottish words for rain.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Scottish words for rain.

#1 Post by Chuck »

Sadly quite a few are no onger i use but given the Scottish weather we have quite few names for rain: :flag6:

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03 ... -rain.html

I thought
Pea Souper (English term in use in Scotland)
was thick fog or thick fog and rain..
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Laurie

Re: Scottish words for rain.

#2 Post by Laurie »

Very Good!! I remember quite a few from my youth, but many are new to me. What I do remember about Scottish rain is the old (and at least partly true) quip:

"Aye, ye ken it's summer, the rain's warmer."

'warmer' with much rolling of the Rs and the 'a' sounded as in 'harm' not 'warm'. (We had an elderly eccentric spinster called Miss Cootes as a French teacher at Perth Academy in the 60s. She would squeak at us errant pupils with our dreadful French accents - Roll your RRRs boy (or girl) making it sound like 'Roll your arse!' much to our male juvenile delight especially when directed at one of the girls.)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I always thought Diggle meant rain as well :run:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Laurie

#4 Post by Laurie »

Ovenpaa wrote:I always thought Diggle meant rain as well :run:

Very true .... although I did get sunburned there a few weeks back. (Honest guv, the absolute truth!)

This talk of Scottish rain reminds me of another local saying from when I worked in the Glasgow area for a year or two. (I bet there are local equivalents all over the world.)

See them hills over there (pointing to the north east, the Campsie Hills?). If youse can't see them it means it's raining. If you can, it means it's about to rain.

Strathclyde and Ayrshire make Diggle look like a semi-arid desert area of course when it comes to rainfall. Only Ireland (where the rain clouds make landfall after leaving the Atlantic) could be worse methinks. (But then I don't know Wales at all!)
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

Ah the West coast of Ireland, not so much rain but a all pervading very fine drizzle. The local description is it's "soft day". I motor biked from Galway to Westport on a such day, I didn't see any scenery it was like going through low cloud all day.

Bergen on the West coast of Norway has a similar reputation for thd number of wet days. The joke is a tourist in Bergen asked a young local boy "does it ever stop raining here"? The boy replies "I don't know, I'm only twelve" lol
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

On the bright side, once it reaches your skin it doesn't soak through any further.

Always find it funny when tourists ask why it's raining in summer....4 seasons all in one day at Knockhill - lovely. Wake up in Strathclyde, weather lovely - drive to Edinburgh and Castle Law - and rain and mist stop play...GGRRRR Still, it is nice place in any weather. Wish it would rain here, only 37C today.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Gazoo
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

#7 Post by Gazoo »

I am on a ship just between Troon and Ailsa Craig, closer to the island and the weather is utter Pish, I thank you.
Alea Jacta Est
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

There were a few new ones crafted on Century this afternoon................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I once visited Bergen in bright sunshine, I could see the islands as I flew in and it was simply stunning. Well stunning other than I was on a flight from the UK to Oslo with no stops... A minor issue apparently which got worse when I went to board again and was told my flight was from the UK to Oslo so I was not getting on, followed by lots of flight attendants trying to find me because I should be on the flight. I do like Norway :)

Wales - it always rains when I am there regardless of location.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

Gazoo -
I am on a ship just between Troon and Ailsa Craig, closer to the island and the weather is utter Pish, I thank you.
You're sounding Scottish with that description mate, well done to you! lol lol lol :flag6: :flag6: :flag6: