The Inglis Bren gun

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

The Inglis Bren gun

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

It was hard to know where to put this so it ended up here, does anyone have any war effort favourites?

Veronica Foster, an employee of John Inglis Co. Ltd. and known as "Ronnie, the Bren Gun Girl" posing with a finished Bren gun in the John Inglis Co. Ltd. Bren gun plant, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

This photo is an excellent example of official government coverage of workers at home during the Second World War. First produced in 1937, the Bren Gun became of the most widely used machine guns of its kind and was a staple for line troops during the Second World War
Veronica was well photographed, no idea why...........
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

Re: The Inglis Bren gun

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is a good photographic study of the Inglis factory here:

http://www.pbase.com/mrclark/inglis_factory_
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dave_303

#3 Post by dave_303 »

That's a pre-1940 Bren, as seen with the dovetail sight bracket, worth a fortune these days.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mine was a MkII, I had a feeling the earlier rear sight was only on the MkI and I didn’t think Inglis were in production that early into the war, I could of course be very wrong! :oops:

It would be interesting to reproduce the original bracket for the optical sight, build 'the one that got away'
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

When I was at school, we used to shoot falling plate competitions with a Bren - would love to do it again now....
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Dougan wrote:When I was at school, we used to shoot falling plate competitions with a Bren - would love to do it again now....
Was that the 22LR version?

:-P :lol:
Dougan

#7 Post by Dougan »

Robin128 wrote:
Dougan wrote:When I was at school, we used to shoot falling plate competitions with a Bren - would love to do it again now....
Was that the 22LR version?

:-P :lol:
No .303 - The cadets (CCF) was part of school, and the school had an excellent armoury...A couple of brens, No.4s, PH target rifles and .22 trainers.

I can remember the excact course of fire, but you started at 500 yrds, shot a given number of rounds (semi auto), then ran forward to 300...a few more shots...then to 200....

We also shot ETR (electric target) comps with No.4s....that was a lot of fun too.
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Can't imagine any school giving that sort of experience and understanding to its pupils nowadays.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

when I was but a nipper I burnt my fingers missing the mag release of a 7.62x51 version of the Bren :oops: :oops: lovely gun to fire though, almost no recoil on single fire, and a gentle push back on full-chat :D
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#10 Post by bobbob »

The Ford factory I work in used to build the Bren Gun Carriers. Bit like this but bigger :good:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5LqcvP ... detailpage[/youtube]
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.