Phantom F4

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Re: Phantom F4

#11 Post by Chuck »

There's one in the RAF display in York, looks bigger than I imagined it to be, awesome - can't remember last conflict it was used in, was it Saddam1??? yep, equipped to carry nukes, rotary bomb bay ?

This should have been in service, a complete waste of money so that we could buy the F11 I believe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdJxjvQZW4

and this, amazing vertical climber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt3uqB1j ... re=related seemingly still classified info??
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
swampy

#12 Post by swampy »

i believe the buccaneer to have been designed specially for high speed low altitude stuff... when it retied i think it was still faster and more stable than it's replacement... at them low altitudes.

It was used in Op Gramby / desert storm.

I know that when the russians and americans all made friends.. they only asked for one aircraft specifically to be removed from the uk and that was the F111.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#13 Post by 20series »

Chuck wrote:There's one in the RAF display in York, looks bigger than I imagined it to be, awesome - can't remember last conflict it was used in, was it Saddam1??? yep, equipped to carry nukes, rotary bomb bay ?

This should have been in service, a complete waste of money so that we could buy the F11 I believe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdJxjvQZW4

and this, amazing vertical climber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt3uqB1j ... re=related seemingly still classified info??

Yeh Gulf 1, if I remember correctly the RAF used them to LASER designate targets.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#14 Post by mr smith »

Chuck wrote:Are they THAT OLD already...OOOER!

Watched them at Leuchars doing circuits and bumps (along with some German Starfighters) when I was a kid on hols there...

Always remember one coming in to land over the coastline we were picnicking on - and frightening the life out my wee sister with the noise HAR HAR!

Leuchars is just over the tay from Dundee used to see them all the time,there was two squadrons of them there.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by mr smith »

swampy wrote: buccaneers, jaguars and all sorts.

There's a real lack different aircraft now,plane spotters must it all very boring now.
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#16 Post by Steve E »

mr smith wrote:

Watched them at Leuchars doing circuits and bumps (along with some German Starfighters) when I was a kid on hols there...

Always remember one coming in to land over the coastline we were picnicking on - and frightening the life out my wee sister with the noise HAR HAR!

Leuchars is just over the tay from Dundee used to see them all the time,there was two squadrons of them there.
I was at Leuchars from 1986-1990 on 111 and 43 Sqns. A good aircraft of its day but far too labour intensive to maintain with a very unreliable Missle Control System. 111 was a good place to work and back seat rides for the groundcrew were commonplace, especially when on det to Cyprus or Red Flag in Nevada. I think in four years i totalled 12 backseat rides, probably the most exilerating thing that I have done. Only problem sitting in the back was that you could not see whare you were going. The British F4s with the Spey engine were the most powerfull, heaviest and Slowest of all the phantoms but they did have character.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#17 Post by kennyc »

Steve E wrote:
mr smith wrote:

I was at Leuchars from 1986-1990 on 111 and 43 Sqns. A good aircraft of its day but far too labour intensive to maintain with a very unreliable Missle Control System. 111 was a good place to work and back seat rides for the groundcrew were commonplace, especially when on det to Cyprus or Red Flag in Nevada. I think in four years i totalled 12 backseat rides, probably the most exilerating thing that I have done. Only problem sitting in the back was that you could not see whare you were going. The British F4s with the Spey engine were the most powerfull, heaviest and Slowest of all the phantoms but they did have character.
and they didn't leave black smoke trails all over the sky for the enemy to follow :D I spent 5-6 years at Upper Heyford in the early 80's where F111 were based, a big machine, and in looks it lived up to its nickname "Aardvark" but I still spent hours watching them :D and the F15's and F4's that came in from time to time, and of course the "Buff" B52. the noisiest fighter we ever saw were the Luftwaffe Starfighters, they were very loud! of course we only ever heard the Harriers after they had "bombed" the runway during exercises :D
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#18 Post by Mike357 »

Have been skiing in Glenshee and Cairngorm and looked down on tornados flying in between the hills. Amazing!

Great videos folks, thanks.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

German Starfighter, was that the F104G? I seem to remember reading that the number of 104's that fell out of the sky was well into double figures.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#20 Post by kennyc »

ovenpaa wrote:German Starfighter, was that the F104G? I seem to remember reading that the number of 104's that fell out of the sky was well into double figures.
the big problem was the downwards ejecting seat! you have to remember that the original spec was for a high altitude interceptor, and the USAAF were worried that the combination of supersonic flight and the high tail fin needed for control at those altitudes would result in the chair hitting the fin! of course the Germans had problems as theirs were used at low altitude :o and you are right the Starfighter did not have the best rep, although the 20th TAC at Upper Heyford lost a lot of F111's during the first couple of years I was there (not my fault! honest!) apparently due to the terrain following radar detecting and dropping to old mine workings in Wales :shock: (at least that was the scuttlebut at the time)