9/11

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Dave 101

9/11

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

Or as we say September the 11th , ten years on , I dont know where the time goes but I remeber exactly what I was doing that day .
Just after 4 in the afternoon , at the time I was self employed doing carpentry and joinery , I was working at one of my regular customers when the little girl who was about 6 at the time came out and told me a plane had crashed into a skyscrapper in America . I spent the next 2 hours trying to put all the tools back in the van and watching the TV with them in utter disbelieve .
That day changed the world . Not for the better thats for sure .

Dave
Robin128

Re: 9/11

#2 Post by Robin128 »

I was sat in my 14th floor office in Cardiff and took 4 calls from my wife...the planes hitting and the buildings falling.

:cry:
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was working just outside Oslo when someone said a plane had hit one of the towers. 3-4 of us watched it on a CNN newsfeed thinking how could such an accident happen. Then the second one went in, it was no longer an accident. I packed up and headed back to my hotel where they had a big screen in the bar so I watched a few more minutes with a beer. To this day I prefer not to watch the footage taken at the time.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#4 Post by M99 »

I had just got in from an Early turn when the phone rang telling me to get my butt back to work - worked straight for 64 days from the 11th.

Sad times.

Mike
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

I was working on assembly line maintenance then

I was sat at my bench doing something and word started spreading about a plane hitting a building in NY, I dug out my radio and listened to events unfold.

I went home and my wife and I sat in disbelief watching the coverage on the TV till late, I have vivid memories of thinking that the world had probably changed forever.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

In the fullness of time someone will have a go at the new towers and then perhaps the response will be appropriate.
Attachments
trade.jpg
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

Great new buildings with style!
Attachments
1new.jpg
1new.jpg (10.85 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
alan108

#8 Post by alan108 »

I was sitting indoors with my late wife on her 54th birthday when my daughter and son-in-law came in and just switched on the television,it was just before the second 'plane hit.We all sat there in dis-belief,and watched in absolute horror as the towers came down.Sickening to say the least. :cry: :cry:

Alan :(
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#9 Post by 20series »

For her 40th Birthday present back in April I've paid for my wife to accompany her Sister's family to New York in October, she has said that she wants to go and visit the site to pay her respects at the memorial.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#10 Post by Mike357 »

I was driving back up from Dumfries to the office in Glasgow when my dad phoned to tell me what was unfolding.

Also know where I was when Elvis and Diana died.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!