British Expeditionary Force - WW1 - Help needed.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: British Expeditionary Force - WW1 - Help needed.

#11 Post by 450 Martini »

I'm in that Tracks to the Trenches Video further up the thread. Apedale light Railway has a great collection of WW1 period locomotives, many of which have documented use on the Western Front.
Chuck

#12 Post by Chuck »

:good: :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

Managed to get a free trial on Ancestry. Found all the war records for my Uncle (a Canadian) who was KIA in Sicily in 1943, 8 months after marrying my Aunt.

Fascinating stuff. 4 campaign medals.

Everything there: notice of his death to his parents, final pay aard, even him being a naughty lad and going from lance corporal to a private - a which he was hwn he was killed.

Checked out the cemetery too - looks nice.

Loads of downloads, images etc.

The best part is that all I knew about him was what my mother told me and how he died (which was a bad break considerng the action there seemed to have ceased two days later) and that I was named after him.

Now he's a real person not just a family story - I felt kind of sad in a way while I was looking through everything though. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Must get another free trial somehow and see if I can find my grandfather...

Biggest drawback is that in some of the documents there are spelling mistakes which would have been carried onto computer files. Luckily his surname was not that common.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!