Humble Aircraft.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Humble Aircraft.

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

Sales in the United Kingdom of the American-engined Auster J/2 Arrow were limited by import restrictions on the engines, so Auster re-engined the aircraft with a British engine, the 90 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor I. The first aircraft flew towards the end of 1946. The two-seat aircraft proved less popular than the companies three-seat Auster J/1 Autocrat and only 27 aircraft were built. A number of aircraft were exported to Australia and these were known as the Archer in that country.
Yes, only 27 built, most ended up in Australia and NZ. I know of two that ended up in Uganda and one or two that went to the Congo. At the moment there are 11 left in the world, when Dad restores his second that'll make 12.

A J-4 was shot down by the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Australian Navy after it took off without it's pilot!

The J-4 is a lovely aircraft to fly, very forgiving. I don't know how the J-5 compares as I've never flown in one. Aestheticly, I prefer the J-4 over the J-2. The cirrus engine gives it the "Auster look".

The aicraft that Charles Miller "acquired" would have most likely been a Cessna O-1 Bird Dog. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_O-1_Bird_Dog

This is probably the aircraft in question http://www.161recceflt.org.au/MAAF/Airc ... y%20ll.pdf
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Jenks

Re: Humble Aircraft.

#12 Post by Jenks »

Sandgroper..

Yep! the name BirdDog rings a bell. Yes the aircraft That Charles Miller acquired must be the one that the RAEME rebuilt. I knew beer came into the story somewhere. :cheers:

Jenks