Gottfried Sandrock . Killed in Action 1918

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: Gottfried Sandrock . Killed in Action 1918

#21 Post by 450 Martini »

We had many of the historical locations completely to ourselves, including the memorial at Theipval.
That must have been quite errie, when i was over there last October, Thiepval was filled with coach loads of kids from Bearwood West Bromwich which is about 30 minutes from me. The kids were more interested in messing about and enjoying their "holiday" than remembering the fallen.
Jenks

#22 Post by Jenks »

450 Martini wrote:
We had many of the historical locations completely to ourselves, including the memorial at Theipval.
That must have been quite errie, when i was over there last October, Thiepval was filled with coach loads of kids from Bearwood West Bromwich which is about 30 minutes from me. The kids were more interested in messing about and enjoying their "holiday" than remembering the fallen.

"450 Martini"
The kids were more interested in messing about and enjoying their "holiday" than remembering the fallen.
That is a quite interesting observation/ comment. The day before we had the Memorial to ourselves we had taken a half day tour of the area, Newfoundland park, Y ravine, the sunken lane from where Malins took his famous Hawthorn mine film and of the Lancashire Fusiliers waiting to go over the top and attack the wood opposite, Many ending up in the British Beaumont Hamel cemetery in the middle of what was no mans land. Down through Beumont Hamel, Which after the battle could only be recognised as a village by the red brick dust staining the mud to the Ancre then up the road to the Ulster Tower where the 36th Ulster fought with such distinction on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. And then on to the Theipval memorial.Stopping on the way where our guide pointed out Mouquet Farm and described the action there. Our guide was a young British university student and was very knowledgeable. At the Theipval memorial I asked if him if many British schools visited the memorial. He said yes. I said I thought that was a good thing. Then he replied much as you just did.. Pretty sad don't you think. I wouldn't describe having the memorial to ourselves as eerie. But It was indeed a very powerful emotional experience. Lutyen's imposing edifice has that effect if you have no distractions. I think both my wife and I had trouble holding back the tears.

Incidentally to those who hitherto have not visited the battlefields and are planning to do so. I would recommend starting on day one of your visit with a guided tour of the area you are interested in. You will have many questions and a good guide will enhance your experience. Visit alone and you will miss so much.

Jenks
Jenks

#23 Post by Jenks »

Daniel Hannan describes his visit to Theipval and more in his Easter blog:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danie ... ice-means/

Jenks
Chuck

#24 Post by Chuck »

Thought provoking good article.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!