Self Defence - UK Law

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
FencepostError

Re: Self Defence - UK Law

#31 Post by FencepostError »

Sim G wrote:As for a source that says Parliament cannot repeal the BoR, regardless of when it was written, but the Act itself! It's still there in the list of UK Primary Legislation in force! There is elsewhere here on this forum I've listed attempts at firearms legislation that have failed to be passed in the House because of the BoR as noted in Hansard. Likewise, there is reams of the stuff relating to other aspects of law and legislation where the BoR has been cited. The Rt Hon Betty Boothroyd, when Speaker of the House made reference to the BoR regularly as the cornerstone of British Parliamentary democracy.
Those more recent references are what I'm interested in. When (if?) I have some time I'll search through your previous posts for references.

My point re Harris and Deegan was not about the BoR specifically, but the fact that how you or I interpret the law doesn't really matter - it's the interpretation of judges (etc) that matters. If a knife that folds and is commonly called a "folding knife" is found not to not be a folding knife, then I have no confidence that my reading of the law will match with a judge's, however clear the law seems. Hence my interest in recent findings/precedents/etc over just reading the statute.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#32 Post by Sim G »

But that is in essence, the legal system. When you also read the circumstances that led to the arrests in each of the cases, Harris, Fehmi or Deegan had themselves no concept either in what they were doing or what the legislation permitted.

Case in point, Harris. He was stopped and searched at night, because of the behaviour inside his car, that the police officer believed was suspicious. Harris was dress smartly as if going out on the town and was asked why he had the knife which was handed over when asked to empty his pockets as part of a search. Harris replied that he was in possession of it to cut leaves in the garden with! The officer even said to Harris that he believed he had it in his possession, in those circumstances, for "protection". Harris replied, "Yeah, if you want." That's why he was originally charged under S1 PoC 1953.

Deegan actually pleaded changed his plea to guilty....

How you interpret the law in your particular circumstances is the crux of any defence. It's so much easier to defend an honestly held belief than to look for some aspect of legislation to justify a poor or stupid decision.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sandhills

#33 Post by Sandhills »

Thank you Gentlemen.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#34 Post by Les »

Chuck wrote:Halodin - you will want to think about this then:

http://i.imgur.com/KxCu758.gif
I wonder if Dreams sell those headboards? :grin: