Self Defence - UK Law

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dangermouse

Self Defence - UK Law

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I am sure I have posted this before but can not find it.

Here is a link to where you stand under UK law using self defence to protect yourself, others and property.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/self_defence/

Don't just scan it and chose the bits that you like, read all of it at least twice and remember no matter what your interpretation of it is, you will have to depend on a jury and judge for them to have the final word.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Dangermouse

Re: Self Defence - UK Law

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

The above law was amended on 25 April 2013

At this time I can not find anything on the internet which records the changes but I can say that there is now extra burden on the police to gather relevant evidence at the earlies opportunity to prove or disprove defence cases.

The changes clarify

That reasonable force under sec 76 applies as much to the defence of property as it does to defence of themselves or preventing crime.

That a person is not under a duty to retreat from an offender when acting as in above.

And that Disproportionate force can now be reasonable in certain circumstances when house holders are protecting themselves or others from trespassers in their homes.

Grossly disproportionate force is still not allowed.

You may still end up holding the rail relying on a jury to see it your way, but the law finally appears to be swinging in the favour of the householder and not the criminal.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Cannot find any similar guidance relating to Scotland http://www.crownoffice.gov.uk/search?se ... t&limit=20
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
paulbradley
Home club or Range: RFD

#4 Post by paulbradley »

Amendments are now included in the above link.
"The end of all etiquette is to so cultivate your mind that even when you are seated, not the roughest ruffian can dare make onset on your person" - The Ogasawara
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

If you read the leaflet mentioned in that text here;

http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/pros ... lders.html

Does the constant reference to having a defence of reasonable/disproportionate force AT HOME, mean you don't have one 'on the street', or is it just being said because the leaflet is specifically aimed at burglary/home invasion??
DVC
Fester
Home club or Range: FDPC

#6 Post by Fester »

The English Bill of Rights 1689 states "Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence"
There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Fester, our "RIGHTS" were stolen a long time ago - but hey - we can always try eh. We care too much about the criminal these days and loonytune judges, lawyers and laws do not help.

It's a sad day when you have to take down barbed wire etc in case some bawbag thief gets injured, kukkuk kukkuk kukkuk kukkuk kukkuk
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jackmanuk
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms / Grove

#8 Post by Jackmanuk »

someone breaking into my house waving a knife or bat the first thing im gonna do is cock the shotgun ...... guess what the second thing is ....... the third is moaning about all the mess on the walls ,
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#9 Post by HALODIN »

I keep a chainsaw near the bed just in case...
DL.

#10 Post by DL. »

HALODIN wrote:I keep a chainsaw near the bed just in case...
I love the smell of 2 Stroke in the morning!