Help-Military Silva Expodition 54 compass romer scales

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dangermouse

Help-Military Silva Expodition 54 compass romer scales

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

http://silva.se/products/proffessional/expedition-54b

Caught your attention?

I was teaching the compass tonight, talked about 6 digit grid references. I then pointed out that the model 54 compass, that we use, has Romer scales in the top right section and if these are placed against a grid box on the map, they help get that 6 digit reference more accurate etc.
I then had a complete memory loss.
Why on this and some other military compasses are the numbers 10-1 instead of 1-10.?(look at the link and you will see).
It is one of those Q's that you either know the answer to or not. I have Googled it with no success.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Help-Military Silva Expodition 54 compass romer scales

#2 Post by IainWR »

Because, if you put the top right corner of the compass grid on the point of interest, the result of having the scale that way round is that you can read off the relevant number against the diagonally opposite grid corner on the map.

Conversely, if you slide the compass grid so that the relevant numbers are on the lower / left lines on the map, then the zero point on the compass grid is the location you are aiming for.
Dangermouse

Re: Help-Military Silva Expodition 54 compass romer scales

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Iain, thats it, as soon as I started reading it came back to me.

Full points, head of the class.

I now know something no one else on the staff knows, including the CO - power is knowledge.
Manic laughter dissapearing into the night.

Thanks,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.