Preparing for E-Day

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Preparing for E-Day

#41 Post by DaveB »

Seems we have strayed away from the point of this thread. In order to try and bring it back on track?

We are in the process of buying a dozen or so acres out in the countryside, next to a gazetted scenic wilderness area, where it will be much easier to stay separate from the 'great unwashed' who may wish to take advantage of the situation during any such event.

Actually I wanted a place out "beyond the back stump" (as it is called here) so that anybody who found us would have done so purely by accident. I had a place all picked out 20 miles down some of the worst, rutted, dirt roads I have seen in years, but the 'OC Home Command' (AKA 'she who must be obeyed') vetoed that suggestion. So we have gone for a place a bit closer to civilisation. Still, better than being in town when the - (to use that quaint American acronym) - SHTF.
Blu

#42 Post by Blu »

DaveB wrote:Seems we have strayed away from the point of this thread. In order to try and bring it back on track?

We are in the process of buying a dozen or so acres out in the countryside, next to a gazetted scenic wilderness area, where it will be much easier to stay separate from the 'great unwashed' who may wish to take advantage of the situation during any such event.

Actually I wanted a place out "beyond the back stump" (as it is called here) so that anybody who found us would have done so purely by accident. I had a place all picked out 20 miles down some of the worst, rutted, dirt roads I have seen in years, but the 'OC Home Command' (AKA 'she who must be obeyed') vetoed that suggestion. So we have gone for a place a bit closer to civilisation. Still, better than being in town when the - (to use that quaint American acronym) - SHTF.
I hear you on that. where we live is a nice distance from town, neighbours are not too far away and there is plenty of wild life to supplement what we grow to eat and as well as the stuff my wife cans. I reckon if the S does HTF most of the city dwellers will be too busy killing each other over resources, I'm sure some will head out into the countryside but the way folks around here are I think our small community will be able to take care of ourselves against any trouble.

Between us we have enough firepower to arm a small army.
Swamphog
Home club or Range: Stafford PO PRC

#43 Post by Swamphog »

Blackstuff wrote:Why has the water gone off? The electricity would go before the water . . .
Once upon a time, most places had their water supplies powered by gravity; towns in the lowlands, fed from reservoirs in the hills. These days, the vast majority of drinking water is pumped with electric pumps. I used to work (briefly) for a company making synthetic lubricants, and did a survey of all the sites belonging to South West Water. I saw more electric pumps the size of a small car than you could shake a stick at - and not one site had a standby generator.

Where I live (just outside Buxton, Peak District) is, admittedly, 1300 feet up - but there's a water reservoir and pumping station on the hill above me; yet, if the booster pump in that station trips out, all I get is a slow trickle from the tap, and my electric shower won't work due to lack of pressure.

Fortunately, there's a stream 50 yards away which never dries up, even in the hottest and driest weather - and our average rainfall is 4 feet 4" per annum. In 2012, it was 5 feet 2"! ;)
"An engineer is someone who can make for five bob what any fool can make for five quid - make it work reliably, and make it at a profit."
(Anon.)
Smart bloke, that Mr Anon.