The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion.
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 pm 

Has there ever been a national gun grab by the governments in times of war?
If society did start to breakdown what would be the chances of you having to hand in your guns?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 am 

Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club
Well, considering that as I recall it was WWI that started the whole gun-control nonsense in the UK, it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Based on how well-regulated firearms are these days, the stage is certainly set to make such a grab easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 am 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: Mayfair Shooting Centre - Sunny Sunderland (The nicest place in Wearside/Pittington (PSG), 3 Counties Sporting Club - Ponteland (MOD Ranges), Leamside Clay Club, Various IPSC clubs around the country
Depends on the circumstances I'd guess. If it was a small localised event, or one so massive it required the police/armed forces to be doing more pressing things probably not, at least straight away. If say there was a large scale 'revolt' of the general population or some other slow-burn but large scale event i'm sure they'd firstly simply prohibit civilian ownership and therefore get the majority of people to had them in of their own accord, rather than having to go door-to-door.

The Nazi's took guns from Jewish people in the lead up to WWII (but at the same time relaxed the then strict gun laws for Nazi party members). I think i've read about the disarming of some of the people in the Rwandan genocide too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MKPSG12?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2018

Home club or Range: NRA Bisley
Yes...........the minute things started to get ugly.
It would only take one incident by some brain-dead civilian numpty involving a firearm at a time of insurrection, legally held or not.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

Home club or Range: Classified
If it was a fairly sudden SHTF scenario the police etc would probably have more pressing matters at hand and if it was an "every man for himself" break down of society scenario I think the number and type of illegally held firearms that would come out of the woodwork would be a real eye-opener!.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:13 am 

Home club or Range: North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member
Last memorable one was when the US NRA shipped a load of rifles to the UK to arm the people in case of invasion during WWII. They were held by the Home Office or whatever it was in those days and sold onto the public many years later. So an indirect action however same sort of thing ish.

I have an old .22 Hornet with such roots :)

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Binbrook UK Live Weather

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 am 

Home club or Range: EBSC
The handgun ban in Ireland started as a "temporary" confiscation of privately held handguns due to the troubles in Ulster. They were never handed back.

It was decades later that they finally relented and started permitting handguns.

Not sure if the confiscated ones were ever returned - likely many of the owners died off in the meantime !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:45 am 

Home club or Range: North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member
Anyone care to take a wild stab as to how many firearms would still be in circulation if all legally held items were 'grabbed'? My guess is in excess of 100k for shotguns, rifles, handguns etc.

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Binbrook UK Live Weather

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 am 

Home club or Range: Mayfair Shooting Centre - Sunny Sunderland (The nicest place in Wearside/Pittington (PSG), 3 Counties Sporting Club - Ponteland (MOD Ranges), Leamside Clay Club, Various IPSC clubs around the country
I'd imagine there would be a significant spike in the numbers of firearms being 'lost' in the run up to a complete ban O:-) teanews

http://www.youtube.com/user/MKPSG12?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am 

Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club
Being on a couple of US shooting fora, this is a surprisingly common topic, with threads on "how can I safely store firearms underground for long periods?"

Generally the American shooters distrust the Federal Government more then we distrust ours...!!

They have seen what happens when countries introduce registration of firearms, which is why they're so against it.... in their eyes registration=confiscation.